Home / Civil Rights / Cops Arrest a Libertarian Politician for Trying to Get Signatures. “Permit Required.”

Written by Gary North on May 31, 2014

That pesky First Amendment had to be ignored this week. A candidate for governor in Minnesota was caught red-handed trying to collect signatures in a park. They were trying to get onto the ballot.

The police saw what was going on: actions not allowed without a permit. Ever alert, they told the man and his unindicted co-conspirators to stop. He had not applied for, nor received, a permit.

They cuffed him and hauled him to headquarters.

He was arrested at Lake Calhoun. The lake was named to honor John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, who resigned as Vice President in 1832 to protest the growing power of the government. He favored states rights and nullification. I don’t think he would have approved of this particular use of a state’s pre-1865 right to nullify the Constitution. We never know where one of our favorite ideas will lead.

A police officer said on camera: “You guys need to contact the park board and get a permit. You can’t promote, you can’t do any of that stuff without a permit.”

The charge against him? Advertising without a license.

Advertising without a license? The mind reels!

I regard a law prohibiting advertising without a license as a violation of liberty on an unprecedented scale. The American economy would collapse within weeks without advertising. It must be free! (Note: “free” as in “unrestricted,” not free as in “no 15% commission.”)

This has to be nipped in the bud.

Continue Reading on www.policestateusa.com

35 thoughts on “Cops Arrest a Libertarian Politician for Trying to Get Signatures. “Permit Required.”

1. johngarand says:

Minnesota! What a cluster-phuck of stupidity. My brother moved out of that state …this is the reason he gave. "IF IT'S NOT ILLEGAL……IT'S MANDATORY!

2. michael says:

Let the Hunger Games begin!!!

3. Who was it who said: “If you have 10,000 laws people lose respect for the law.”? Actually, it only takes one bad law.

4. Rattlerjake says:

And I'm starving!!!! LOL :^)

5. Rattlerjake says:

Under the political elite we are a country of laws, not a country of rights. The police are not to keep the peace, they are to bring in revenue and keep the citizens in line. But soon it must change, or this nation will cease to exist. I envision the day when ALL democraps are ornaments hanging from trees!

6. Go get a copy of "1984". Read it or reread it, as the case may be. If it isn't beginning to sound like the government that would rule us, than you must be living way off the grid. Give small people power and they grow to be giants in their own mind. I give you our President as a prime example. See my blog at http://cranky-conservative.blogspot.com

7. Old Curmudgeon says:

Even though the citation was later dropped and the Park Police Chief apologized for the actions of his officer, this situation should never have happened in the first place. If this had been our sorry excuse for a governor soliciting signatures in the park, the officer would probably grabbed a clipboard and worked right alongside with Comrade Dayton!

8. • •
    "Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against… We're after power and we mean it. . . There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be
    much easier to deal with." (Ayn Rand- "Atlas Shrugged", 1957

9. Control my friends it is all about CONROL.

10. If you want to know where this is heading read William L. Shirer's, "Berlin Diary, The Journal of a Foreign Correspondent, 1934-1941", Alfred A. Knopf, 1941. We're getting close to the "papers please" stage.

11. Any more any thing that has to do with Government on it count it suspicious.
    Right now we have a bunch of Nut jobs running the asylum. starting with the Oval office.
    Time to hose the White House down and clean tout the corruption.Obama regime are a bunch of traitors and LIARS.trying to change America iinto a Marxist nation.
    Any body that don't believe this are to stupid to research. WAKE UP.
    Of course that would leave the halls of justice pretty sparse.
    This requires immediate action on the peoples part.

12. believe says:

We have a bunch of Politicians breaking the LAW EVERY TIME THEY OPEN THERE MOUTH, Obama having the highest score then go down from there you will have a long list including some Republicans, Boehner at the head of the list for the Republicans.
    This is gone on to long not to have taken action to correct the situation.WE better start making them accountable NOW.

13. believe says:

CLEAN HOUSE, CLEAN HOUSE, Now that will erase some of the problems they are creating. Stat5 with the OBAMA'S and his regime ,Jerritt and the list grows.

14. johngarand says:

It would be a BIG Improvement if the 'Halls of Justice' were left 'pretty sparse'. The FOOLS that pretend to work there have no CONCEPT of justice…and we'd have more of that if they all went back home. Of course. as Will Rogers once said: "We send a man off to Congress for twenty or thirty years, and when he comes home he ain't FIT for any honest work!"

15. I also like: “Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep?” . . . King Solomon (circa 950 B.C.) – Proverbs 6:6-9 . . .

16. Just more from the republic of Minnesota , that and corrupt judges, crooked politicians etc. this is the new America. Repeat of Communist Russia , Nazi Germany, !!!!!

17. All so very true my man ! We really do live in massive illusions and all are simply control mechanisms here in USSA today !

And if this person had been Mexican or black then what ? Perhaps a police escort thru the park ? at a minimum protection ! I hate to stoop to bring in the race card, but it is true and we all know it ? We did not cause or start that part, then control freaks did. So now if we mention it we are the bad guys ? WTF ?

18. Excellent point. Not only do we have too many laws and many duplicitous, but we do not enforce them except selectively? So they are deliberately used against you just as your money is used against you every second of ever day by your own government ! The control freaks .

19. All so very true my man ! We really do live in massive illusions and all are simply control mechanisms here in USSA today !

20. CITIZEN ARREST THE COP FOR VIOLATING FREE SPEACH RIGHTS! COLLECTING NAMES FOR ELECTIONS ARE ALLOWED ANY WHERE!

21. If good men to nothing, then evil will secede over good, I scream out for freedom lost, but no one listens, until it's to late and we all become slaves to our own Government. Karl Marx would be smiling if he were alive today, for sheep have let the wolf come to close and danger is at hand. I ask how many will stand your ground and fight for freedom, or do nothing and let the wolf eat you alive.

22. The dour Swedes are trying to re-create Sweden in the upper Midwest.

23. A very good text for libertarian anarchy.

24. johngarand says:

That is the best explanation I have heard. Of course, the 'Progressive' movement, (which bears a striking similarity to another 'movement') started in Minnesota in the '20's. Bob LaFollette I believe….and it has only gotten uglier as the years have gone by.

25. johngarand says:

My oh my…Sir. you show up on ALL the boards…even this somewhat 'low traffic' one. Visited your site the other day, and after a while I realized I had been there before…certain pages began to look familiar…I recall that I had seen the 'weapons' portion before. Lots of info there.

P.S. Otherwise known as 'Virgil Hilts'.

26. grumpy3625 says:

This is what's been bothering me for decades now. As I was going to work one day years ago I saw a cop jack up a homeless man as he was trying to sell brooms. I heard the cop chuckle and tell the man that he needs to go get a license to be able to do that as he was leading the man away. I muddled over that and the simple truth came to me: you have to get a license to put food on your table??? If you have to get a license to put food on your table then you are not a free man. This is in the high order of obscenity. People who want to have a garage sale on their own property are told they cannot do that unless they get a license. This is not true everywhere but it's true in places within OUR OWN COUNTRY! I don't think the idiot cops realize what they are doing, they have been brainwashed. This "law" is used selectively. I'm pretty darn sure that whoever is in power wants to stay in power and will go to any length and cheat to do so. They will throw up their hands and say "what can I do, it's the law" when they are the ones who draw it up and pass it. Stamp out competition is the name of the game. The proper name for that form of society is FASCISM. This one of my pet peeves that stay in the forefront of my mind along with pro choice and abortion.

27. grumpy3625 says:

Thank you for this quote from one of most favorite books. In one brief conversational transaction, Ayn Rand nailed it.

28. Some call it "anarchy" , some call it "liberty" , some call it "freedom". Call it what you want .. but remember: you'll have to live with it.

29. I believe we are already well on our way to becoming a police state, which is one step up (down?) from our present nanny state. And i do not like cops. But the problem here is not with the cop, but with the law. The cop was doing what he's supposed to do, enforcing the law. It's no different from a cop telling someone he can't put up a commercial sign in a residential neighborhood.

Just curious. But if that potential candidate for governor wins the governorship, will he work to change the law so it will be easier for his future opponents to obtain signatures in the park?

30. Jack Knoblock says:

Well my fellow free thinkers! This unfortunately has had its origins all the way back to the Tower of Babel?! Do you know why G-D confounded their languages? It wasn’t because they tried to build a Tower to try and reach into heaven. There is another place he mentions it and is upset. The reason was they became of “One Mind” not individual free will/agency thinkers. G-D never designed us to be useless mindless people who couldn’t think for themselves! No he said take every thought captive & if not G-fly. He wanted us to choose for ourselves. He desired people who could think on there own So he saw the tower & brought confusion of their languages giving them something to learn & think about. Well have you noticed first when Obama was first running. Anyone who was an opponent and met with him behind closed doors came out not really the same. They were parroting what he was saying. In Revelation the same happens with The Beast. The become one mind with it. No longer Free Thinkers. They don’t want us who can actually think on our own. We are a threat to their plans. Think about what the LORD said ” Choose Whom you will serve this day!”

31. Amen.

32. above god says:

Minni tax us. I moved out 36 years ago. Ridiculous! The people have the right to petition the government even for the right to run for governor. I hope this guy wins. Stranger things have happened in Minnesota.

33. chvietvet says:

After Jesse Ventura served as governor of that state and saw its politics up close, he moved to Mexico. Now I can understand. That is also another state that discriminates against Vietnam veterans in employment. If they swore to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States, they are not welcome in Minnesota.

34. jimaw63 says:

I equate this to requiring a 6 year old to get a city permit(costing up to $200) to run a lemonade stand. The proper response from any uniformed officer…"I'll take one, please."

35. goes to prove that this happens all over becasue cops don't KNOW the law themselves and are SS candidates!!