Home / Government / Will Facebook Bring Down the Government?

Will Facebook Bring Down the Government?

Written by Gary North on April 26, 2014

I am going to ask a rhetorical question. When was the last time you saw a positive political cartoon for Obama?

It is not just Obama’s problem. How many positive cartoons did you see for George W. Bush after 2003?

For that matter, how many positive cartoons did you see for Bill Clinton? How many political cartoonists came to Clinton’s defense during the Lewinsky scandal?

There is a pattern here. The pattern is this: with respect to the public media, criticism of the President is far more likely than support, article by article, cartoon by cartoon. The editorial pages of the mainstream newspapers may come to the defense of a President, but if you read the articles, what sells is negativity.

Politicians face this reality in the national media: “If it bleeds, it leads.” Bad news usually gets priority over good news. The only systematic exception was the website, HappyNews.com. A friend of mine created that website years ago, but he never found a way to make any money with it. The last posting was on October 15, 2013. Happy news has ended.

Just ask Obama.

KROKODIL

Beginning in 1922, there was a humor magazine in the Soviet Union with this title: Krokodil. It allowed limited criticism of lower echelons of the government, but only from the point of view of humor. Lenin understood that there is a dark side of Russian humor, and he knew that it was a threat to his regime. Stalin understood this equally well. The rulers understood that there had to be an outlet for this kind of dark humor. They controlled it. They placed limits on it. But they did not attempt to suppress it entirely. They knew better. Even in the Gulag, there was humor. Example:

How long are you in for?Twenty years.

What did you do?

Nothing.

Nonsense. The sentence for nothing is only ten years.

In the Soviet Union, underground literature continued to circulate, and as the technology of digital reproduction grew better, more of got circulated. (The fundamental law of economics is this: “When the price falls, more is demanded.”) This was called samizdat. It helped undermine the Soviet Union. It took decades to do it, but finally the government’s legitimacy disappeared.

Today, Facebook specifically and the Internet generally are means of ridiculing the government, but the government has no control over it. The cost of doing this is essentially zero. The marginal cost of posting a negative cartoon is vastly outweighed by the marginal returns of sticking it to the government. This is not going to end.

DECLINING TRUST

The Rasmussen polling firm released some startling figures.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) of Likely U.S. Voters now fear the federal government, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Forty-seven percent (47%) do not, but another 17% are not sure.Perhaps in part that’s because 54% consider the federal government today a threat to individual liberty rather than a protector. Just 22% see the government as a protector of individual rights, and that’s down from 30% last November. Slightly more (24%) are now undecided..

As recently as December 2012, voters were evenly divided on this question: 45% said the federal government was a protector of individual rights, while 46% described it as a threat to those rights.

I am rarely impressed by polls, because I know how the pollsters can structure the questions to affect the outcome. But when the same firm asks the same question, and the results are significantly different, I pay attention. Something fundamental may be changing.

As percentage changes, these are remarkable. We are seeing a fundamental re-thinking of the federal government by the American public. The question is this: why?

(For the rest of my article, click the link.)

Continue Reading on www.garynorth.com

21 thoughts on “Will Facebook Bring Down the Government?

1. BraveNative says:

I saw plenty of positive cartoons for G.W.Bush since Oblammer has been in office. "Miss me yet" is one I'm sure everyone has seen.

2. Obama's and his administrations policies are so bad it is hard to find anything good to say. They have regulated the federal land use so bad that oil exploration is gone. They are regulating the coal industry so bad that it is lucky to still be viable. Regulation after regulation has stifled the economic progress of this nation. Keystone pipeline is a prime example. _The administration lies and covers up the investigative process of scandals. ex. Fast & Furious, Benghazi, IRS targeting conservative groups. On and on._The expensive vacations and trips by his wife and entourage. They are not the monarchs of this Nation although they seem to think they are._The EO's bypassing congress. DOJ picking and choosing which laws they will or will not support._Foreign policies of just talk, talk and more talk. His stupid red lines in Syria which was crossed. His failure to support Iran's national freedom movement. When asked for military weapon by Ukraine he gives them MRE's. He is an embarrassment to the nation._Destruction of our military, with reductions and cut backs._The saddest part is the fools that still vote for a man wrecking this nation and transforming it into one of humongous debt._I could go on but Why? _Democrats will lie time and again to justify and maintain their Political power.

3. nexgenesis says:

I agree that the internet is a game changer. It allows for the guys and gals on the street who has normally no influence on the policies of the government, to say what is on their minds. It makes it harder for the liberal press to destroy some one with their edited commentary of what some one has said and what he really said as in the case of Clive Bundy. It allows for the ones in government who are leading America down the path of destruction, such as this regime is so blatantly doing to be exposed no matter how hard the liberal press tries to hide their intentions in the archives of suppressed news. The Internet is the game changer for regular people.

4. Game69 M. says:

Barry the fairy can not take a joke…you hurt his little feeling.
    So sorry he doesn’t have any feeling,he just gets even….whatever that may look like . The ILLEGAL MUSLIM BROTERHOOD…FAG.

5. FRENCHIE says:

IF FACEBOOK, OR ANY OTHER INTERNET SITE WERE CAPABLE OF BRINGING DOWN THE GOVERNMENT, THEY WOULD'VE SHUT IT DOWN LONG AGO. NOW, PISSED OFF PATRIOTS, ON THE OTHER HAND……………..

6. Caretaker2 says:

If anyone can 'bring down the government,' it will be God. What he uses is anybody's guess. Many tools are at His disposal….

7. Anyone believing that Mark Sucker-burg would allow the criticism of the Liberal/Marxist government to get too strong is living in a dream. He has consistently suppressed Conservative pages, especially veterans speaking out against Benghazi, Hillary and Obama. Facebook tracks each page and if it weren't for the loss of contact with some friends that only seem to be able to use Facebook, I would close my account on principle with no hesitation. As it is I use it sparingly but opt to post in pages such as this and others. The media, social media included, is in the tank for the Marxists and Obamunists and the only way to fight it is each and every person who is concerned about the future direction of the United States of America, speak out about it, inform your representatives and work to empower Conservative organizations LOCALLY! The reason the TEA party was originally successful is that it was LOCALLY formed, the reason that we are getting hammered in the arena of public opinion is that there are now too many national organizations purporting to be the spokespeople for the TEA party.
    Conservative means smaller Federal government, locally controlled government more responsive to the citizens. Borders that are controlled against the illegal invasion of foreign nationals. Economic freedom, lower regulatory authority in the Federal government but strong local control of regulations and a free market so that small as well as large businesses can compete openly.

8. H.D. Flagle says:

M.Z. Has been pulling a lot of what he doesn't like. He should run Facebook and keep his comments and what he doesn't like to himself and just collect the money Facebook has made him. a very rich person, Thanks to Conserve policy not Liberal ones.. No one who has this kind of control should be allowed to control what people think and this includes both Conservatives and Liberals. as well.. I dislike Facebook for this very reason. M.Z. has censored a few articles I posted with out explaining or giving a good reason.. I dislike Facebook for this and it wouldn't effect me if I were invited to discontinue my participation.. Facebook is a great place for people with little talent to falsely claim they are important. A lot of good friend son Facebook and many, many with a lot of talent but never bra about their accomplishments. These are the only people I admire on Facebook. I feel they belong on either Twitter or LinkedIn and quit wasting their talents on Facebook.. A word to the wise: "You comments will be pulled if Mr. Z doesn't agree
    with the content. with and that's not the American way..

9. H.D. Flagle says:

M.Z. Has been pulling a lot of what he doesn't like. He should run Facebook and keep his comments and what he doesn't like to himself and just collect the money Facebook has made him. a very rich person, Thanks to Conserve policy not Liberal policy. No one who has this kind of power should be allowed to control what people think and this includes both Conservatives and Liberals as well.. I dislike Face book for this very reason. M.Z. has censored a few articles I posted with out explaining or giving a good reason.. I dislike Face book for this and it wouldn't effect me if I were invited to discontinue my participation.. Face book is a great place for people with little talent to falsely claim they are important. A lot of good friend son Face book and many, many with a lot of talent but they never bra about their accomplishments. These are the only people I admire on Face book. I feel they belong on either Twitter or Linked In and quit wasting their talents on Face book.. ( A word to the wise): "You comments will be pulled if Mr. Z doesn't agree with the content", and that's not the American way.. Face book should display all comments, both Conservative and Liberal and not lie and censor like the Obama administration. (Corrected Version)
    Read more at http://teapartyeconomist.com/2014/04/26/will-face

10. AD Roberts says:

Have any; of you considered that Obama KNOWS this is happening and all of these questionable activities are in preparation for a great rebellion? Don't you know that THIS IS PART OF THE PLAN. You have to make people angry enough to rebel before you can declare martial law and declare a dictatorship.
    And you have to have BILLIONS of rounds of HOLLOW POINT ammo ONLY if you are planning to kill Americans.
    WHY would I say that? Because hollow points are ILLEGAL in war and the ONLY people who are willing to attack us are muslims and far East Orientals. Obama would NOT want to attack muslims. And the Koreans and Chinese would have a hard time getting here.
    The next thing is that hollow points are not good for TARGET PRACTICE because they are too expensive, least for CITIZENS.
    No, Obama is preparing to INSTIGATE and then attack us.

11. Michael Skok says:

My favorite is the cartoon that pokes fun at Laura Bush's new-found talent for taking cheap shots and jokes at her husband. They are both laying in bed. Laura is sitting up in bed saying, "Take my husband, please." Mr. Bush is laying on his side and says, "Give it a rest, Laura."

12. This is an interesting theory. I thought that distrust of the government was mainly with individuals like myself, who are old enough to remember how things were, and not view the present state of affairs as "normal". But the idea that social media like Facebook are instrumental in bringing this epiphany to the American public implies that there are many, many younger people involved. Whoa–this is encouraging! Pessimist that I am, I tend to conclude it might simply be the anti-authoritarianism of the young, with no particular principle behind it. But maybe, in a significant number of cases, I'm wrong. I hope so.

13. "Miss me yet"

Nope, don't miss GW at all. Good riddance. Everything I don't like about Obama, is what I didn't like about GW. GWcare(prescription drug plan), GWwars, and GWscandals.

14. Government's bring themselves down.

15. bless2live says:

Could care less if I never before seen cartoons of our leaders! Cartoons of Ponokio, yes! Show them everyday until he is in pink!

16. PrvatePerson says:

You are CORRECT SIR!! This is the most naive piece I have seen by Dr Gary. Plain little old me was surprised to see all my writings about Mr Bundy and many other critical topics expunged from my page by the FACEBOOK death squad over the last few days….. MISSING!… I Facebook may be the greatest form of spying on Americans ever.and if they need to find you they know who to contact… All your closest friends and relatives are listed… NOW a person must assume that the NSA, FBI and other unscrupulous Bureaucrats have a back door in.. Most software programs do.. Facebook has saved untold Millions of dollars in expense to those investigating crimes, both true and alleged by those unscrupulous bureaucrats… Dr North… You are usually quite intelligent.. I was disheartened to see you slip here.

17. Raredirt says:

It may come to pass eventually, but a lot of people can die in the meantime.

18. fredflintstone says:

and dob't forget the gw car! oops my bad that was vw, which was hitlers invention sorry,

19. msjallen says:

You have the exact correct answer.
    Col 2:10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over ALL rule and authority;
    Psalm 28:5 Because they regard not the works of the Lord, nor the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them, and not build them up.
    Daniel 2:20-21 Daniel answered and said, Blessed be the name of God forever and ever: for wisdom and power are his: It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men and knowledge to men of understanding. (Those who know Bible Doctrine)
    HE changes the times and the seasons, HE removes Kings and sets up Kings, HE gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding.
    Ps 75:5-7Do not lift up your horn on high; do not speak with insolent pride. For not from the east, nor from the west, nor from the desert comes exaltation; But God is the Judge; He puts down one and exalts another.
    People who think man can solve man's problems do not know what the Bible says.

20. L. Shamus McQuade says:

Why don't you run you little prick

21. All of our recent Presidents, with the possible exceptions of JFK & Reagan were selected & vetted by the ‘Bilderberger Group’. Is it any wonder why our government has become Fascist and the tool of an Oligarchy of the rich & powerful?