Home / Gun Ownership / Gun Control Discrimination May Be About To Ruin This Teen’s Future

Gun Control Discrimination May Be About To Ruin This Teen’s Future

Posted on March 13, 2014

Meet Jordan Wiser, a high school senior you might call an overachiever.

Enrolled in an Ohio vocational-technical school, Wiser was taking Firefighter 2 and EMT courses to bolster his dream of future public service.

“Last year, I completed the law enforcement course,” the 18-year-old told The Huffington Post. “I received several certifications, including the National Terror Defense certification from FEMA, the Terror Recognition certification and (certification as an) Emergency Vehicle Operator.”

Wiser also joined the Army, enrolling the Future Soldiers program, and was scheduled to ship out in August. After his planned military service, he figured he’d embark on a career as a police officer or firefighter.

But Wiser’s big dreams of public service are on hold. In fact, he’s now enduring a nightmare.

It all started Dec. 12 when administrators at Ashtabula County Technical and Career Campus (A-Tech) in Jefferson, Ohio — about 60 miles northeast of Cleveland — questioned Wiser after an alleged tip regarding videos uploaded to Wiser’s YouTube account. Among the clips are reviews of video games and merchandise, home defense tactics, and an interview with a local police officer.

“The principal said he had reason to believe I had weapons in my vehicle and needed to search it,” Wiser told the Huffington Post. “He made me empty out all my pockets, and the vice principal grabbed me and patted me down very forcibly. It was somewhat awkward. Then they took my car keys. I told them what was in my car and said, ‘Don’t be alarmed.’”

Wiser added that he didn’t give school officials permission to search his vehicle, nor was there a warrant to perform the search. But they cited the school handbook as their warrant, he said, adding that they denied his request to call an attorney.

And what did they find inside Wiser’s vehicle? A folding blade pocketknife, a stun gun and two Airsoft guns.

Airsoft is a game akin to paintball in which participants shoot each other with round non-metallic pellets, and Wiser said he had plans for an Airsoft game after school. The stun gun was for self-defense, he said, adding that the pocketknife was part of his EMT kit.

“My stun gun was locked in the glove box,” Wiser told the Huffington Post, “and the knife was in my EMT medical vest. I bought it at K-Mart and have it as part of my first responder kit for cutting seatbelts.”

Wiser was arrested and jailed for illegal conveyance of a weapon onto a school ground, a Class 5 felony.

Harold Specht, the chief assistant prosecutor at the Ashtabula County prosecutor’s office, said the charge is related only to the pocketknife.

“I was in jail for almost 13 days,” Wiser told the Huffington Post. “The first bond hearing I went to was on December 15. The judge ordered me [to be] held on a half million-dollar bond, pending a psychological evaluation. I did that and passed. They found I was not suicidal, homicidal or a threat to anybody. My attorney brought it up in front of a different judge, who let me out on a $50,000 bond and an ankle monitor. I was released from jail on Christmas Eve.”

Given his school’s locale, Wiser doesn’t understand all the hubub over his pocketknife — nor the wide-ranging fallout from its discovery.

“There are kids at my school all the time who get caught with knives and are suspended,” he told the Huffington Post. “My school is very rural, and people carry knives. I can accept the fact that there was a lapse in judgment, and I can accept a punishment, but I have already been expelled from both the tech school and my home school.” Jerome Brockway, the A-Tech superintendent, declined to discuss the case.

And since Wiser’s felony charge, he said the Army discharged him pending a not-guilty verdict or dropped charges without prejudice.

That’s not all. If the felony charge sticks, things could get way worse.

“If I am convicted of a felony, I’m never going to be a police officer. I’m never going to be a fireman. I’m never going to be in the military,” he added. “I won’t even be able to be a janitor. I’m 18 years old, and this is going to ruin my entire life.”

Continue Reading on www.theblaze.com

21 thoughts on “Gun Control Discrimination May Be About To Ruin This Teen’s Future

1. John Hasse says:

This is a whole new level of stupid. Just when we thought things wouldn't get worse. Does no one have a bit of common sense??? or is that against the law now?

2. bitcoiner says:

Hopefully this kid changes his mind to become a "public servant" now that he's getting a taste of what he'd be dishing out to other innocent people every day.

3. As soon as he was confronted by the principal and vice-principal, he should have just walked out and refused to cooperate. And gotten the hell out of there.

4. Not Worried says:

I re-read the story to see what his attorney was doing for him. I was mistaken it seems. It looks like he possibly has no attorney. Even if he does have an attorney, defense is not enough. The best defense is a good offense. Sue each player in this travesty. Not some vague organization, group, government of corporation. Sue them personally and by name for depriving this young man of his future. I don't know how to do it. I'm not an attorney. But, it would only seem fair to me.

5. RivahMitch says:

Perhaps, if they work on it enough, the system will turn him into a well-aimed terrorist for a good cause… that being American freedom!!;-) Semper Fi!

6. chvietvet says:

The problem is with our courts and judges. For the past 30 years, the courts have been expanding the doctrine of "sovereign immunity," a concept related to the "divine right of kings." Everyone working for a government agency has complete immunity from being sued. Anyone from the president of the United States to the local dog catcher can come on your property without your permission, shoot your dog, break down your door, threaten you and your children, and finally shoot you through the head without incurring the slightest personal liability for their actions. They just have to say the words, "line of duty." Judges will not permit any lawsuits to be filed against government employees. If any liability is assessed against the government, the taxpayers must pay the bill. Our Ninth Amendment guarantees us all rights that would have been recognized under English Common Law in 1776. The last English king who declared himself to rule by Divine right, Charles I, was beheaded at Whitehall in 1649. That ended sovereign immunity in English common law. All kings after Charles I ruled strictly under supervision of Parliament. Nevertheless, American judges have resurrected the defunct concept of "sovereign immunity" to protect fascists, communists, corrupt gangsters, and other crazies presently employed by federal, state, and local government. They cannot be sued, and they will not be prosecuted as criminals no matter what hideous crimes they commit. Welcome to the Soviet Union of North America!

7. chvietvet says:

Ohio seems to be a center for advocates of totalitarian government. Because veterans once fought to defend the rights of man on overseas battlefields, they face extreme discrimination in Ohio. So do people who believe in our Constitution and the rule of law. About 25 years ago, the administration of Ohio State University was found to classify veterans who applied for jobs and placed their military service on their resumes as "unrepentant veterans." The mindset is clear. Only those who believe that government employees should have the status of gods are welcome in Ohio. A school director therefore has the right to make and repeal laws at his own discretion on a case by case basis. For that reason, Ohio citizens assisted the communists In North Vietnam in forcing our armed forces to leave and taking over South Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, where they killed almost 4,000,000 people within three years after their victory in 1975. In Ohio, the time will come when every citizen will be obligated to kneel down and knock his head on the ground nine times every time a government employee passes by. Some people are happier as slaves because they are not required to think.

8. Could be the BEST thing that happened to him, now he'll find a real calling in life besides being a useless tax eater.

9. Now that is just a downright tragedy. We don't have many Good young people and when there is one, this upside down and backward country of ours turns him into another felon with no hope, no future.

10. When I was in High school in the 70's, we All wore Knifes with long blades 7" or better to school. There was never a stabbing, cutting or accidents. In fact these knifes never left our belts. And No One Ever said a word. It's these mush minded 'College Graduates' in places of authority that cause the problems for the innocents in this country.

11. It's insanity when a knife locked in a vehicle is treated the same as a knife on a person's belt or in a pocket. Can someone who knows more about this case get a petition started at Change.org ? That site can get thousands of signatures in a couple of days, that many signatures carry a lot of clout to convince the idiots in charge to relook at their stupidity and clean up the mess.

12. I am not sure gun control discrimination plays into this situation as much as stupidity does. The infraction was apparently over a common pocket knife. I have carried a pocket knife almost all my life. I had to change the one I carried to work since the blade length of 3 1/2 inches classified it as a weapon in our personnel manual which limits knife blades to 3 inches. This is how stupid present day society is. I leave the real defense mechanism in my pickup while at work since the company does not own the parking lot. Believe me, that devicee would raise the gun control issue. But I live in a state that still believes in most of the constitution anyway.

13. welcome to the liberal utopia all you obama scum lovers wanted.hows the black president test working out for you now.

14. CPT Jack says:

The school NEEDS to be De-Funded !
    And, those school people, permanently barred from "The Education Industrial Complex" !

15. America the Defiled says:

So when did school grounds become property of the state? I thought the tax payers own it since it is they who paid for it? And when did illegal search and seizure become legal? Oh that's right – since Obama and Holder decided to take America over.

16. Just one more reason to HOMESCHOOL.
    Now we have school administrators and government officials calling a GOOD young man BAD.
    I guess that means that they would prefer he be a gangbanger, vandal or a thief.

17. Yelling"Rape!" sounds like the proper response to the initial encounter!

18. Hipockets says:

Agree' Our schools.(especially the colleges') encourage the kids in ways we never thought would happen. It's called Communistic brainwashing' Personally, I have stopped encouraging my Grandkids and Great Grandkids to go to college'Waste of time and money. There's better ways out there to become a responsible good citizen and make a living'

19. Hipockets says:

Very few states give that option nowdays' Feel VERY lucky you live where you do' And my advice to others that are under
    the state Commie rule is' MOVE.

20. Hipockets says:

Home schooling is the way to go now' BUt,just watch' Obama with the stroke of his almighty pen or his Phone, will put a stop to Homeschooling' No control and he wants the kids to be Commie thinkers'

21. Scott. I agree with your distaste for Obama's agenda, but please don't bring race into this discussion. The occupant of the WH has given us enough evidence to rate him as the worst of all time. God Bless.