Home / Career Plans / An Artist With Asperger’s

An Artist With Asperger’s

Written by Gary North on March 6, 2014

I begin with two photos. The first is a conventional wedding party photo. The second is not.

Needless to say, the second photo got my attention.

pre-jump

Jump2I like the flower girl in the second photo. She is having none of this jumping. She seems to be saying: “I will not sacrifice my dignity.”

I want to tell you how I discovered these two photos. It is a remarkable story. I came across the first step in this story in an article written by James Altucher, who offers a never-ending supply of weird and wonderful stories — and also depressing ones. This one is wonderful. It is a typical Altucher story: “How to Deal With Crappy People.” His titles have a way to grab your attention. Here, I read this:

I was talking about this with Penelope Trunk and Melissa Sconyers who works with Penelope. Penelope has an excellent blog I recommend. She also has Asperger’s Syndrome which, from what I can gather, means she can’t read social cues on people so has trouble knowing how to respond to people. So she told me her technique what she does.

She uses something called Myers-Briggs to determines someone’s personality type. Then, in advance of meeting that person, she looks up the personality type and figures out how she needs to respond and interact with that person.

I had heard of the affliction, but I did not know anything about it.

I had seen Penelope’s blog before I read his article. It is beautifully constructed — a model for what a blog should look like. Take a look: http://blog.penelopetrunk.com.

I clicked the link. On her front page was an article, “How to build a career if you have Aspergers.” She began with this:

Roughly 80 percent of adults with Asperger’s syndrome do not have full-time work, according to some studies. By the time I figured out I had the disorder, I had been fired from every job I had ever held. I had offended everyone I knew. Think of all the thoughts and judgments that go through your head that you’d never say aloud: You’re fat. You’re lazy. Your clothes don’t fit. Your office smells. I say these things because they’re true, and I’ve since built a career on saying what no one else will say–or maybe I have a career in spite of that.

How does someone with Asperger’s cope with this? Here is how she did it.

If you have Asperger’s, the key to building a career is to be very good at something. People accept my quirks because I’m so good at starting companies. My inability to see the rules makes me able to think outside the box. I don’t see the box.

It is crazy to think you can start a company from nothing and build it to $100 million in revenue. Yet I am excellent at selling this sort of thing to investors. For most of the world, crazy is bad. In the start-up world, crazy is good.

This got my attention.

(For the rest of my article, click the link.)

Continue Reading on www.garynorth.com

14 thoughts on “An Artist With Asperger’s

1. We have three young people with Asperger's in our extended family. My great nephew in Illinois has found his mother serving many other young people with the condition. She counsels kids and lobbies the Illinois Legislature for help. Another young man went through my wife's Catholic school and today runs a business in Iowa.

Then there's Loren John Presley, a young man of deep and childlike faith, who wrote his first book at 19 – "The Anastasia Project" that was his way of telling the world how he functioned inside. He's written other books and even built a robot. Check his website: http://www.lorenjohnpresley.com/ for a real eye opener.

He illustrated a book of poems for the great uncle of one of our Olympic Wrestling Champions.

Along with their challenges, these young people are usually extraordinarily gifted. I'm glad to see other are rising to their own challenges. In an era when our education system dumbs down even the brightest kids – to make it fair – our Asperger's challenged are leading the way to a wonderful world of imagination.

2. gene1357 says:

I thought it said "lick the clink"….

3. Linda M Au says:

That's not Asperger's. That's dyslexia. 😉

4. gene1357 says:

Mmmm, sounds erotic when you put it that way. ;~p

5. WhiteFalcon says:

I have a gripe. I don't do this often but I am going to now. Every article on thei blog today is old news. I have seen all these articles on other blogs as long as five days ago. If you guys are going to do a blog, put something up that is news rather than stale history. That is my gripe, what do the rest of you folks think?

6. Interesting. I don't have ?Aspergers and I still make people mad at me.
    Mine seems to be because I am very tall and overweight with; ;an IQ of 165 (at one time) It seems to irritate most people that a very large OLD man can be smarter than they are. It does not help that I don't seem to know when I have made my point and just keep talking. LOL

7. I think that they are just repeating articles over and over on the chance that someone missed it. If you are not senile, you will remember which ones you have read and not even open it. LOL

8. Remember kids with Downs? Challenging people with beautiful spirits.
    GOD DON'T MAKE JUNK.

9. Stuart Shepherd says:

Asperger's is, in the end, essentially a personality disorder in manifestation, although it most likely has both environmental and genetic influences, like any other "disease." The young man (I won't speak his name) that murdered all the schoolchildren and his mother in Connecticut, had "Adult Asperger's with sociopathy." Essentially- borderline personality disorder. This syndrome is being "bred" in us in massive quantities environmentally, as we live in a vicious, hostile, divided society with a lack of a moral compass, depravity, and moral relativism the order of the day. Asperger's is marked by the same hallmark as it's societal manifestation- a very juvenile inability to relate to others as humans the same as yourself in the essential meaningful way and the coincident hostility, viciousness, sociopathy. We live in "Adult asperger's with sociopathy" America. It's our national religion. Lovely.

10. Stewart Shepherd, you really do not help much at all by your comments. Asperger's runs in my family; I have it, my daughter has it, and my grand-daughter has it. We all have IQs over 150, and none of us is lacking a moral compas, nor are we juvenile in our inability to relate to others. We learn socially acceptable behaviors and emulate them; we all have friends, and many people love us. We are not hostile, vicious, nor are we sociopaths. At best you are rude and ignorant of Asperger's; at worst, you are deliberately provocative and mean. Please get to know people with Asperger's and you may well change your mind.

11. Sorry I misspelled your name, Stuart.

12. Stuart, the major point to note with Lanza and other school shooters is their use of psyco-tropic pharmaceuticals. In reality people with Aspergers have a stronger moral compass who don’t lie as this article shows.

13. jumping in the air is undignified! – gimme a break gary.

14. El Kabong says:

I have Asperger's. I held a full time job for almost 26 years, but still struggle with leadership skills. If there is anything that stands out that I'm pretty good at, it's remembering birthdays. However, remembering birthdays won't make the paycheck any bigger.