Home / Email Featured / Video: Jonathan Winters and a Stick

25 thoughts on “Video: Jonathan Winters and a Stick

1. Top comic. Forever.

2. J. C. Moore-USN Ret. says:

As funny as Robin Williams is, he learned his shtick from the MASTER who is forever the MASTER! R.I.P. Jonathon, you will never be quite equaled.

• absolutely what I was thinking.

• Yes, Robin Williams is the only other person I can think of who can switch from one persona to another in the blink of an eye. Jonathan was king in his day, no doubt about it.

• Robin Williams is more talented than people give him credit for. The only question is if Robin was high on cocaine or not. I can assure you that Jonathan Winters was not high. Just a incredible bright comic genius.
        I always wonder if the younger generation would appreciate what he did.

• I wonder if any members of the younger generation even know who he was. Most college kids of today don't have a clue as to where Benghazi is or what happened there.

• dmt……….without the filthy expletives………they probably wouldn't understand him.

• I heartily agree about Jonathan Winters. He was the king. Moreover, unlike modern comics such as Robin Williams and Jim Carey, he didn't have to overplay the part to be funny. The only time Robin Williams or Jim Carey are funny is when they're playing a cartoon character (Popeye, Pan, Mask, etc.), where going overboard and being loud and gregarious is actually an asset to the role. In such limited cases, those guys are great. They both play great cartoon characters. But that seems to be the primary difference between the older comics and most of the younger comics. The older guys understood the subtle nuances of comedy. Most of today's comics just think that comedy is slapstick, pratfalls and being loud. Winters didn't need anything but a stick and a speaking level voice. That's the type of talent that's lost on most modern comics, including Robin Williams and Jim Carey. When I was younger, I wouldn't miss an opportunity to see Winters. But I won't waste my money going to see a Williams or Carey movie, unless the comic's character is a cartoon character. In the 50's and 60's great comics abounded (Winters, Hope, "Burns & Allen", Godfrey, and on and on). Today, the only good comics we have are a dead terrorist and a jalepeño on a stick and nobody who can play an actual role in a movie (though I understand that Achmed is shopping his life (correction) death story around Hollywood). I wish we had lots more like Winters, today.

• Oh, yes!. I forgot the king of comedy – better even than Winters.

Red Skelton.

So, I'll close as he would, "Good night and God bless".

3. Yes Johnathan Winters was brilliant. But he was from a time when you had to have imagination, talent, and a sense of humor and timing instead of nothing but a foul mouth to make it in comedy.

4. ralphdjeeper says:

Loved him,the best every so dam funny,and the very best add libber with anything,anytime,anywhere.

5. HE IS SORELY MISSED!

6. My favorite comedian by far!

7. Thom Filloinger says:

Johhny Winters, the pride of Dayton, Ohio was the very best. Guys like him come along only once in a lifetime!

8. MinnDakota says:

It's hard for me to believe that this clip is nearly 50 YEARS OLD!

9. sweetsuzee says:

I actually missed some of the dialogue way back when as I was laughing so hard. Glad to see it again on video. What a brilliant ad-libber. They threw away his mold at birth. Today it's all about teleprompters and writers and the proof is in the pudding.

10. Denver Kitty says:

I have not laughed like that in a long time. Thanks for the memories!

11. Jeffrey Locke says:

Jonathon Winters was the greatest of all time at what he did. I saw him in the DVD recorded comedy classic “It’ a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad…etc. World!” and he was awesomely funny playing his part in that too. Jim Carey and Robin Williams are good but Jonathon Winters was the first great and IMHO the GREATEST comedian ever! Rest in Peace Jonathon

• I saw Johnathan Winters playing opposite Jack Klugman on an episode of the old "Twilight Zone" and he was brilliant as a serious actor playing a pool hustler that returned from the dead to hustle one last time. It was an excellent tale of be careful what you wish for, you might pay consequences for a long time. The episode is "A Game of Pool".

12. What a loss. Funniest guy ever.

13. "It's a big 'W', I tell ya! It's a big 'W'!"

14. Johnny Winters was a master at his craft and a brilliant comedian. When he and Robin Williams were both in the cast of Mork and Mindy, I understand that some episodes were only written with a line or two and the rest was improve with these improvisational comedians bouncing off each other at the speed of light.

15. Jonathon was by far and away the most incredible genious not only of his time but for all time. There will

never be another one like him. I will keep this e-mail for as long as I can. Thank you for the memories.

16. Bruce Wiltse says:

I have enjoyed this clip many times and only wish there was some one to replace those wonderful talents. Bruce