Home / Bureaucracy / What Will ObamaCare Cost You, Beginning on January 1? Do You Know?

What Will ObamaCare Cost You, Beginning on January 1? Do You Know?

Written by Gary North on September 24, 2013

You don’t know, do you? I do. It will cost me nothing. I am on Medicare. It will cost my wife nothing. She is exempt: Christian Health Care Ministries.

But what about you? Do you know?

Do you know how much higher your premiums will be as a result of all those newly covered citizens coming on board?

What would your fire insurance cost if people whose homes are on fire could get coverage with your insurance company, by law?

By law, people with existing medical conditions have to be covered. To pay for treating these people, existing policy-holders will have their premiums raised.

They call this insurance. It’s not insurance. It’s free care for the already ill. Someone must pay. Guess who? You!

How much will your premiums be raised? Have you been told yet? If not, do you know how to find out?

Have you made the household budget revisions that will be required on January 1? Or are you just waiting to see what happens?

Americans without coverage must enroll before January 1. Do they know how? Where?

What website do they go to in order to find out?

What about the single mother in the local housing project? Who will tell her?

What about the three “families” of illegal aliens that live in the foreclosed house across town (or around the block)?

There is a site where they can find out. Anyway, the site says they can. But people in Alabama don’t know. What about people in your state?

This gigantic change in American health care is due to go into effect on January 1. Everyone is supposed to enroll on October 1. Are they ready to comply? Do they know how to comply?

The IRS will administer this. What if most people fail to comply? What will the IRS do then? With what percentage of its employees?

I am of course hoping that this incomparable mess will turn out to be even more incomparable than the media have described. I want the IRS to be buried in digital paperwork. I want the nation to call the IRS to find out what’s required. I want busy signals. I want lots and lots of busy signals.

Confusion is a good thing at the federal government level.

What if people call Congress to find out? What if they begin calling on October 1? The number is 202-224-3121.

Continue Reading on washington.cbslocal.com

31 thoughts on “What Will ObamaCare Cost You, Beginning on January 1? Do You Know?

1. THey can kiss my but I will not comply Iwill not listen to any of there crap it is unconstitional and they cheeted to pass it no way will i sighn up

2. "butt", not "but". "Their", not "there", "cheated", not "cheeted". Go back to elementary school.

3. Do you see the problem here? Nobody should be 'exempt' from a 'law'. Otherwise, it's not really a law, but rules for a privileged class. Ministers are 'exempt' from social security taxes if they choose to 'opt out', but me as a private citizen get the tyranny of the IRS. You get Medicare, I get nothing but taxes to pay for your medicare.

The cost to you? The loss of your country.

4. old_salty_dawg says:

I know if I comply that I and my wife will DIE since under the STUPIDITY and IGNORANCE we would not have anything left from my meager Navy retirement check to live on since we both have pre-existing conditions and for me alone insurance starts at 1700 a month up from 700 a month. See there is one of the LIES Obammycare is passing off on America. Obama swore rates would go down but no matter what math you use 1700 is still more than 700. I only get 1300 before taxes and bills so I won't have enough to live on if I have to get Insurance. I bet there are many Americans in the same boat that I am in since I make too much to get help from the Government. So DO NOT buy the LIES of Obammycare or you will regret it and pay for it with your Life.

5. Glad it will cost you nothing. I too am on medicare and got my new info package yesterday. Unlike the $30.00 premimum and $1000.00 increase in out-of-pocket last year it only went up $3.00 this year and the out-of-pocket stayed the same for my suplemental, however I now must pay a $200.00 dollar deductible on my meds. I haven't found out yet how much the medicare will cost.

6. I was curious and Googled “sign up for federal health care”. The first link was to the government site. It says sign up begins Oct 1 and those who qualify and need coverage should be signed up by Jan 1. It looks easy enough to me. Of course, I have a computer and internet, and a job and insurance. The site says that the penalty for not paying will be added to your federal tax. I have never known the IRS to have trouble enforcing what they want to enforce. My insurance web site says my insurance is not changing either, except for some expanded coverage for “pre-existing conditions” and now including children 20-26 yoa. They say the rate is not going up either, though it has gone up 5%-15% each year for the past 10 years. Certainly changes were needed. I guess we will all see how this works. If it doesn’t work, we’ll try something else.

7. Nadine Anderton says:

I don't know why you say being on Medicare means you aren't paying the costs of Obamacare – I'm on Medicare and I understand (but have not been told officially) that premiums are going up 2 1/2 times this year. The approximately $250 premium means I will be in serious financial straits as I have almost no discretional spending money now. My Medicare Supplement is sure to go up significantly, too. I assume this is to pay what the government is stealing from the retirees and disabled to pay for Obamacare. That will "help" us die earlier, too.

8. You should be able to be on medicade if you are only living on your Navy retirement. There is a massive government subsidy which means is you sign up you will pay about $100 per month not $700. What insurance do you have now for your pre-existing conditions?

9. You are truly a bully with anal tendencies!! Grow up and stop being so picky…

10. They want the confusion, the chaos, then they step in like a guardian angel and give you 100% free socialized care at your local government health care system office. Sorry, your doctor does not speak English, but he will treat you in the government authorized manner depending on you age and value as a citizen. Oh you're over 65 and retired? Sorry, have you made your final arrangements yet? Or, your child has a mental disorder, sorry, have you made final arrangements for your child yet? So sad it has been allowed to get to this point.

11. Surprise, surprise! No one in WashDC seems to be able to tell those on Medicare how much more they'll be paying for their premium in 2014. Once they do find out I'm sure it'll send most straight to the ER, which no doubt will be more mobbed than ever with Medicaid recipients of every age. That rushing sound we're hearing is Americans being flushed down the toilet.

12. The nation is only getting what it deserves, all this was predicted by the opponents of LBJ's "great Society" social programs, Medicare, Medicaid, were both predicted to have MUCH lower costs than they have cost since their inception. Many people predicted the same for Obamacare, no one listened. Romney was only interested in an expanded version of the plan he suckered the MASS voters into approving, Rommney's plan would have been substantially the same as Obamacare, so the repubs have no real dispute with Obamacare, they'd just like a few modifications, no basic changes. To REALLY fix things now you'd have to tear bown the entire system, the system has no true market check on prices of services, until the system is freed up with low cost options available, the mega-hospital/Doctor/Insurance cartels have it the way they want it.

13. Oh Nadine, You are not alone. I have NO discretionary funds. Pray that your information is wrong about the premium on Medicare going up.

14. All quite your fussing! I know that you won't admit it but you voted that dumb-ass in there!! Some one did! Now it's everyone's problem!

15. I have a Medicare Plus advantage.plan (HMO). The Medicare premium went up last year as did the plus plan. I talked with my insurance company today and they said they didn't know anything for sure about rates until Oct 1st. However, the parts that we do know about is that they are cutting out the $100 a year they paid on eyewear. Also, the co-pay for the primary doc increases from $10 per visit to $15 per visit. So, it's going to be interesting. Also, they have changed the levels on some of the meds, which means higher co-pays. We're all just sitting ducks!

16. Like the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptists, I also will not comply. Did God write the Old Testament for nothing? Did I read it for nothing? It clearly says not to comply with other nations and peoples who do abortions, not even a head nod. I will not comply or contribute to murder. It would be like German citizens turning a blind eye to death camps, and going about their daily lives ‘well, I’m just a humble worker, not the gov.’ That’s the same as aiding and abetting a crime.

17. old_salty_dawg says:

John I make to much to qualify for help from any Government program since I have no children and it is the VA that takes care of my health care but my wife is all out of pocket and I have to pay the VA for the things not service connected. That is for my two biggest health problems High Blood Pressure and A Hyperactive Thyroid is the other. Now the VA pays for my Arthritis. I cannot work because of that Arthritis and Social Security won't give me what I paid into for Twenty years since I have not worked full time since 1999 when I retired. So you see my problem I make to much for Government assistance nor programs I should get money from and Since both my wife and I have pre-existing conditions we are SOL in getting Insurance we can afford no matter how cheap they make it. We are just able to pay our bills as is and any thing added to our bills is a killer.

18. Like the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptists, I also will not comply. Did God write the Old Testament for nothing? Did I read it for nothing? It clearly says not to comply with other nations and peoples who do abortions, not even a head nod. I will not comply or contribute to murder. It would be like German citizens turning a blind eye to death camps, and going about their daily lives: ‘Well, I’m just a humble worker, not the gov.’ That’s the same as aiding and abetting a crime.

19. old_salty_dawg says:

To those on Medicare and say it won't cost them anything more well I hate to bust your bubble but Obama is taking out almost 750 Billion from Medicare over the next ten years to pay for those who are without insurance. So rates will go up since they cannot go down or stay the same with so much being stripped from the program. So wise up and pray Obama care is stopped or be ready to pay through the Nose for your insurance.

20. Like the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptists, I also will not comply. Did God write the Old Testament for nothing? Did I read it for nothing? It clearly says not to comply with other nations and peoples in their country who do abortions, not even a head nod. I will not comply or contribute to murder. It would be like German citizens turning a blind eye to death camps, and going about their daily lives: ‘Well, I’m just a humble worker, not the gov.’ That’s the same as aiding and abetting a crime.

21. M. E. Hughes says:

I, too, am on Medicare, BUT I have already been told that, should I wish to continue with the insurance that I have had for five years, my costs will go up substantially AND I have not yet been told what the charge will be for Medicare, part B for the coming year, let alone projections into the future past this coming year. The "main stream media" has carried many stories claiming that us old folk won't be affected by Obamacare's profligate charges. These were obvious lies to lull old folks like myself to sleep. If you take away 750 billion dollars from the funds that people have paid in to through payroll deduction (an obvious case of theft without even the IOUs left in the Social Security funds "account") AND promise to reduce the amount that doctors and hospitals will be paid if they agree to take me on as a patient, how does this NOT affect me? And when the review boards, otherwise known as "death panels" decide at some future date that spending money to prolong my life is economically indefensible, how will THAT decision not affect me?

22. The fact that Congress exempted itself from the Obamacare mandate not only tells us all we need to know about Obamacare but all we need to know about Congress as well. And the following quote should remind us of the need for term limits: "Nothing so strongly impels a man to regard the interest of his constituents, as the certainty of returning to the general mass of the people, from whence he was taken, where he must participate in their burdens." . . . George Mason, speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788.

23. Right now we pay 2000/quarter for my husband and me for Medicare plus what we pay for TriCare. I assume the rates will go up as will the deductibles. We also have some dependent adult children whose insurance we will have to cover. Up until now, we have just paid out of pocket. ACA isn't going to be good for anyone. There will be a shortage of doctors, meds and treatments that we now take for granted. And to think, the AF promised us free healthcare for life!

24. Brian Gordon says:

Agreed 🙂

25. Fight the power my brother. You show them what one man can do.
    — Wesley Snipes

26. He is being a bully, this might be an 80+ yr old that didn't finish school and she has a right to express her opinion.

27. Everyone needs to e-mail as many Senators and Congressmen that you can and tell them that if they like ObamaCare so much that they should voluntarily drop their government insurance and go on ObamaCare. Flood their e-mail box and their phones.

28. Did you know that muslims are exempt because insurance is against their religion.By the way he must not have gotten his medicare booklet yet.Medicare does go up.Also medicare advantage really goes up.

29. Sassi_Frass says:

Muslims are not exempt- only the ones who voted for it. Go look it up.

30. You don't qualify for medicare unless you paid into it. Medicaid, however is paid for by the TAXPAYERS.

31. I have been e-mailing my senators and congressmen to stop obamacare. Bob Casey is one of my senators he is so far up obama's butt he can not see the crap he is in.