Home / Free Market / Look for the Union Walk-Out Today at Walmart. Look Real Hard.

Look for the Union Walk-Out Today at Walmart. Look Real Hard.

Written by Gary North on September 5, 2013

Today, you should buy something at Walmart. Anything.

Why? Because a union is staging a walk-out. My guess: you will notice nothing different.

You still won’t be able to find anyone to tell you on which aisle the item you are looking for is available.

When you finally find it through trial and error — mostly error — you will see three-quarters of the check-out lines’ lights turned off.

In short, it will be business as usual at Walmart.

But as a veteran of the right-to-works laws — which the good guys won decades ago — I feel it is my duty to cross a picket line, even when the line is invisible.

The union wants us to believe that the line is there, so I feel compelled to cross it. It’s tradition.

The union thinks thousands of Walmart employees will walk out in protest. But Walmart employs over 1.4 million people in the United States.

So, I invite you to go shopping today at Walmart. Go see how well the trade union movement is doing today. You won’t see a thing.

It will be a sight for sore eyes.

Continue Reading on washingtonexaminer.com

80 thoughts on “Look for the Union Walk-Out Today at Walmart. Look Real Hard.

1. Texas Chris says:

My issue with Walmart is not Walmart, it's Walmart's customers. I can't stand them. If I wanted to watch Honey Boo Boo, I'd stay home and see it on the TV so I wouldn't get any white trash residue on myself. Not an option at Wally World, you're gonna get it on you.

Hardly worth a few pennies saved, my sanity is.

• It really depends on where you live too. The Walmart in my town, that just opened last year, has pretty normal sights….

• Oh yes, very true. WAY too much white trash in any WalMart you go to. Especially late at night, you take your life in your hands when shopping there.

• God does not make trash. Those people whom you are referring to are just as good as you are and God loves them just as much as he loves you. I believe it is disappointing and insulting to God to hear you refer to anyone as trash. Everyone has a purpose, even you and Texas Chris.

• Your right "God does not make trash", man does. These people do it to themselves. Everyone is resposible for their own Condition. Don't bring GOD into this, it is the lack of GOD that has created these prople.

• deniseandros says:

USA,
            Just so you know; there is no lack of GOD, as that is an impossibility, there is only a lack of people serving GOD.

• You are so right God didn’t nor does he tell anyone to go out in public looking like they do. Lack of God is their problem.

• Yeah right, your so full of it! I have never been to a walmart and felt my life was in danger. You pompous arrogant jerk! I hope you lose all of your money and support and that you have to move into a area full of the people you call white trash. I hope they all look down on you as you do them.

• deniseandros says:

Well, Chris, if you feel that way, then perhaps its time for you to move on up to a more affluent neighborhood so that you won't feel so sullied. By the way, I'm white, I work, I'm also a college graduate, I'm a Christian, I've raised a family, and I often shop at Walmart.

• NoMoreMarxistsInDC says:

Or, Chris, apply to Walmart for store manager position. After the training program, I understand, within 5 years you could make upwards of $150,000 per year as a store manager at Walmart.

• Well, you should never judge a book by it's cover. And remember, they may be wealthier and happier than you. It bugs me a little too, but what is most aggravating is when they don't speak English. I think there should be billboards everywhere that say…
      "Love this Country? Then learn and speak ENGLISH. NO? Then please go HOME."
      Wanna donate?

• Sandy Trank says:

Jammin, There you go! It is far more offensive to me as well when I am surrounded by foreigners speaking other than English. It is rude for them to do that. Some people are genuinely poor and don’t have fancy clothes. I don’t myself but I wear clean jeans and tee shirts and don’t smell bad. That shouldn’t offend anyone unless they think too highly of themselves. It is not a sin to be poor but most can afford soap and water.

• kalamawashington says:

I don't know if you have traveled much in a country with other English speakers, where a language other than English is spoken. You will find out that it is much easier for you and your friends, when talking between yourselves, to speak English. Even if you live there and speak the language well, you often find it easier to speak in your native tongue.

That said, I have a problem with people who work in this country, and cannot sufficiently speak English to get the job done. They should be able to have enough of a grasp of the language to carry on a conversation pertaining to their occupation, or to function in the society. When they speak among themselves, Spanish or any other language, I have no problem with that.

• Like my 30 yr old daughter says "She does not shop in ghetto land!" I do not go to Walmart since most of the items there are their brand, prices are higher there anyway, I ad shop and can find items cheaper at Target, Aldis' and even David's here in the DFW area. Meat prices are ridiculous at Walmart, fish is tasteless, fruit is high, I priced a watermelon at David's this summer in July at 3.99 and Walmart was 5.99, the one at Davids was very sweet and juicy. I have gotten tasteless peaches at Walmart, same with nectarines or else they are mush! Prescriptions are higher there also and tired of waiting for an hour and a half for my prescriptions. I can turn it in at Target and it is maybe 25 minutes at the longest time and the same one at Target was $15.00 less than Walmart price.

• deniseandros says:

Anita, don't blame the foreigners. The blame falls squarely on the heads of our corrupt government officials. If we had an immigration policy that was enforced, then the influx of immigrants would be manageable. I don't castigate anyone who works in order to feed their children.

• deniseandros says:

Anita,
        Your daughter may be a bit confused as to the real location of "ghetto land," wasn't it Michelle Obama that was caught by the Associated Press, shopping at Target?

• I agree with you Anita when it comes to Walmart;s PRICEs. They are HIGHER than other Stores in my area too! I live in SE Louisiana currently and DON'T NEED WALMART to SAVE MONEY! I noticed this AFTER the NICE Brother of Walmart died approx. 6 to 8 years ago. The GREEDY Brother (owner) has gone up on Walmart prices so much that they are NOT the CHEAPEST around Anymore. I lived in Fort Worth, TX at the time when I noticed this. Currently I shop at Target, and ROUSES Grocery Store (a Louisiana Family Store). They are Cheaper and the QUALITY is sooo….Much BETTER!

WALMART is NOT CHEAPER. Do YOUR homework! COMPARE!

• I hope you become poor and have to move to a GHETTO, you deserve it!

• I find that a vicious stereotype. PC keeps Walmarts from being close to me, but I've gone to them in Oswego and Ashland, Ohio and they were great and the people were lovely. The one within commuting distance of the Bronx ghetto was terrible, i.e. the customers were pushy animals, but they would be that way in any store.

• Denver Kitty says:

Well, I need donuts…my hips are feeling too thin. So, I will be going to Walmart today. And I feel unions lost their effectiveness when LAWS were enacted, protecting workers. ALL unions should be ABOLISHED.

• I don't need anything from the store today, but I will go anyway just to cross any protest line there might be. I doubt if there will be anyone at my local walmart protesting though.

• Elitists who think they are better than the rest of society are not welcome at Walmart.
      So happy you are not around to clutter up the aisles!

• What a load of bull! Not every person who shops at Walmart is white trash as you put it! So I guess that makes you a snob who thinks your above everyone else? Get off your high horse!

• A second reply to your white trash comment, I live in a mixed area where there are mansions and other high dollar homes and condos then a few blocks away there are your average homes and mobile homes as well. There is also a beef ranch and a dairy as well as horse properties, The Walmart parking lot has a mix of Exotic sports cars to beat up old trucks. I think you are a arrogant punk! I hope some white trash gets all over you and maybe you will see what the real America is about! Jerk!

• Sorry Texas Chris but I must call you out as a native born West Texan I believe you are a Northern transplant or have lived up there long enough to become indoctrinated with the "Yankee BS". I have been in many stores all over the country and especially on a weekend you can find scruffy looking folks. After all they are shopping not attending a social event. Remember most good upright people dont have the "I'm too good to come in contact regular people" so you should get over your arrogant attitude and join the world the rest of mostly enjoy where ever we are.

• I never pay attention to Walmart customers and, as far as I can tell, they don't pay attention to me.

• What a snob you are—sounds like more liberal trash from your mouth.

2. Typical anti union tripe. Join a union, get a fair wage and job protections.

Proud and prudent ATU member.

• Members had MANY chances to straighten out the unions. . . . But as long as you're on the bully end of the bargain I guess it looks fair. . . . There was a time and a place for unions, but they have evolved into a monster and have to be put to sleep. . . . Maybe the unions can recreate themselves into the bargaining tool they once were, instead of the battering ram they have become. . . . I am not anti-union in any way, just anti-bully by EITHER side. . . . Thank You unions for blindly helping elect Obama. . . . He has little use for you now !

• "Proud and prudent ATU member."

In other words, you work for local or municipal government. Figures. There are no viable industries left in America to unionize. Where I live, every day I see dozens of huge, completely empty, city buses driven by unionists like you, trundling around town, wasting fuel, adding to the carbon footprint, totally useless. But hey!, We're Unionized and We Gots Protection!

• And they drive by those closed, empty buildings that used to be private business's that will soon house another government office; as that is the only thing that is growing in most of America. Big government ALWAYS means less private industry.

• Until eventually — like those oversized buses driven by "proud" ATU members — the economic engine stalls and seizes up. We're there now, that's why the federal government is trying to get this country into another world war. It's how big government hides mismanagement of the country behind the privations of a war-time economy.

"Everyone has to tighten their belts and make sacrifices, since we're at war with…..whoever!"

• So I gets to pay 25 percent of my wages for health benefits and pension, as a co-pay, while you gets to pay 0-5 percent for the same thing?? Oh, you musta be in Detroit or work for GM

• Yea, david. And when the company goes out of business because of higher wages, then what will you do. Educate yourself to get higher income. Its never been easier now, with everything on line.

• There is no reason to even be in a union any more! Why do IRS agents need to be in a union? Why are Federal workers even allowed in a union? Unions need to die off. If there was no longer a auto workers union car prices would drop since a large part of the cars price is to pay you worthless union leaches. Look it up, the research on the cost of products made by union hacks cost 2 to 3 times more than they should, so how are you union clowns helping America? Also why are so many of the people who run the union also members of the communist party? Explain that union punk!

• David, I was once a union steward with a record of never losing a grievance. I was also both a local and a state officer–and then I opened my eyes one day, and saw where the money was going–no more.

• Union members are over paid and under worked most are under trained,out of an 8 hour day after harassing right to work workers they may work 3 to 4 hours then when they retire the state picks up their pension,healthcare which in turn drains the states funds and breaks the state,unions were good for the country at one time but now its all about the money,buying politicians,control and power

• Iskabibble says:

A voice in the wilderness, on a tea party site, the tea party is inherently anti union which is why I won't support the tea party. The Walton family now has as much money as the lower 48 percent of the entire population. With this kind of power they can wag their government tail any way the want, yet when they are pressed for a living wage they cry poor. If they want to fix the economy, fix the balance of trade, and bring money back into the country. Walmart is the leader of offshoring jobs and manufacturing, and you can bet they will continue to press corrupt government to support slavery in the rest of the world.Time to bring Walmart down.

• Of course: Sam Walton was the anti-Christ, the Walton family is the spawn of Satan, Wal-mart is the cause of all our problems! Don't blame free-trade globalist politicians in Washington who threw incentives at US companies to offshore the high paying jobs. Let's get Wal-mart and burn them at the stake!

• Unions = Marxist!

• Bust the unions–they are worthless and outlived any usefulness years ago. Get rid of the parasites.

• If unions are good, support right to work laws. Let folks join who want to do so but don't force others — if it's a good deal, they'll sign up for it. For me, after having been FORCED to join the AFL-CIO to work at a grocery store in college in a state that doesn't guarantee the right of its citizens to work (NM), the unions can kiss my rosey red Dolf Lungren looking butt.

• Jersey Joe says:

Sorry pal….You and your union friends have done such great jobs in places like Detroit, Chicago and the entire state of California that you have bankrupted them all. Satisfied!? Nothing like a well deserved raise to break the bank is there?…

3. Anyone whose employment is sustained at above-market rates only by threat of coercive government force does not have a "job". He has an exorbitant and unearned privilege.

• FOr those who work for govts,, unions are supposed to be the check on govt coercion.

• It is mainly a check on the employer dismissing employees for good cause. The possibility of a union civil servant being dismissed is so vanishingly small as to be undetectable without high-powered magnification. Everyone knows this. Even the febrile, second-rate mind of FDR grasped this obvious fact:

"All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management. The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for administrative officials to represent fully or to bind the employer in mutual discussions with Government employee organizations. The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives in Congress. Accordingly, administrative officials and employees alike are governed and guided, and in many instances restricted, by laws which establish policies, procedures, or rules in personnel matters."

You will particularly notice that Congress has recently excused itself from "coverage" by the new and wonderful ObamaCare legislation. It also excused it's own pet employees. The labor unions also expect to be excused from it by government. And they will be. One law for the many. A completely different law for the privileged few blessed by government favor.

The entire relationship is corrupt to the core, a fact immediately obvious even from a trotting horse.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but servants should be servile. Those "public servants" who find being servile disagreeable should seek other gainful employment.

4. A guy stopped at a local gas station, and after filling his tank, he paid the bill and bought a soft drink. He stood by his car to drink his cola and watched a couple of men working along the roadside. One man would dig a hole two or three feet deep and then move on. The other man came along behind him and filled in the hole. While one was digging a new hole, the other was 25 feet behind filling in the hole. The men worked right past the guy with the soft drink and went on down the road.

"I can't stand this," said the man tossing the can into a trash container and headed down the road toward the men. "Hold it, hold it," he said to the men. "Can you tell me what's going on here with all this digging and refilling?"

"Well, we work for the government and we're just doing our job," one of the men said.

"But one of you is digging a hole and the other fills it up. You're not accomplishing anything. Aren't you wasting the taxpayers' money?"

"You don't understand, mister," one of the men said, leaning on his shovel and wiping his brow. "Normally there's three of us: Me, Elmer and Leroy. I dig the hole, Elmer sticks in the tree, and Leroy here puts the dirt back. You see with the government sequestering, they are not buying any more trees so Elmer's job's been cut…..
    So now it’s just me and Leroy…….”

5. I think the article was intending to let you see that the striking unions won't have an effect on Walmart because, 1) Walmart doesn't employ union members (illegal aliens – yes)(unions priced themselves out of the free market), 2) Walmart doesn't sell union made items (ALL Chinese)! For all of you saying white trash shop there, bargain shoppers can be poor, rich, educated, and uneducated, remember they also helped make this country! FYI, it's not just white! What really gets me though is how Walmart is now marketing "American Pride." This coming from the one company in America who opened the floodgates of Chinese products! They made their Billions by exploiting cheap overseas labor and putting so many REAL AMERICAN stores and companies out of business or on the edge! Thanks Sam and family! If you really wanted to help, why don't you close your doors, and let true Americans open stores buying American!

• Walmart is NOT About AMERICAN PROUD. It was when the old man was living that started the company. Then the 2 Sons and one daughter were the owners. The daughter had nothing to do with the company – just collects her money. One Brother was very NICE – like his father and the other brother was known as GREEDY and UnAMERICAN/UnPatriotic. The NICE brother passed away approx. 6 to 8 years ago and that's when Walmart got so BAD and the PRICES are NOT a SAVINGS (most of the time) and the PRODUCTS are so Cheap because they are from CHINA, and MIDDLE EAST Countries TOO!
      I BANNED WALMART approx. 6 years ago, due to comparing prices and found out I'm NOT SAVING MONEY Shopping their. Also, The GREEDY Brother has DESTROYED this Store, by NOT supporting AMERICA!

• Fred Campbell says:

Shop where you choose.

I shop WalMart. They treat me, and their employees, fairly.

Their goods are often Chinese because the Chinese are more capitalistic (and more willing to work) then we are.

Economic laws will prevail. First we blamed our economic problems on the Japanese. The Japanese worker eventually demanded (and got) their fair piece of the action. Then came the Koreans, ditto. Now it is the Chinese. How long before the Chinese worker demands (and gets) comparative compensation?

Then we will probably be getting our labor-intensive goods from Malaysia or Indonesia.

What goes around, comes around.

• Gene retired USAF says:

I have seen this statement before, it won't make a bit of difference who owns the store, local or wal mart. the Chinese control what we buy and you better start realizing blaming someone else is the problem… we buy every thing the commies make and the only way to change this situation is for us to demand American Made goods.in all stores and maybe over time things will turn around.

6. As a part-time Wal-Mart associate, there is no way I would walk out to support a union of any kind… nor would I join one. I may have to visit today as a matter of principle… even though I am not scheduled to work.

• Given the amount of UNSUCCESSFUL efforts by unions to pass a vote to unionize, you are the RULE, not the exception. If working at Walmart is anywhere near as bad as unions claim, they should have little trouble unionizing.

Disclaimer: I worked for Walmart for about 6 years. That was about 20 years ago.

• ASSociate, really? Where are the employees, like partner at other joints that rip off the workers

7. People, 40,000 UNION MEMBERS JUST QUIT THE LONGSHOREMAN'S UNION OVER OWEbamaCare–the UNIONS backed OWEbamaCare, then were one of first organizations to request WAIVERS so as not to be required to be covered by it–this administration has shown it's PRIORITY is government CONTROL over healthcare–with higher costs for all–and OPEN BORDERS IMMIGRATION through AMNESTY–that in itself will CRUSH the job market and wages for ALL American workers. Ya'll continue to back these unions and OWEbama-and watch your standard of living, your wallet and your income go right down the drain as feds will control you from cradle to grave with taxes, regulations and costs–and NO UNION in the world can save you.

• I could be mistaken, but I though the 40,000 member Longshoremen's union quit the AFL-CIO over Obamacare. The story I read did not appear to say the Longshoremen quit the Longshoremen's union.

8. Union Members are QUITTING because of OBAMACARE!
    Unions used to be GOOD (when they started), but in the last 30 yrs. plus, they have become THUGS and Are BANKRUPTING many Counties, Cities, Towns.

Is this what People Want?

• As the son of a former union member, I am convinced the Union hasn't represented the MEMBER'S for most of that time. The union represents the MANAGEMENT of the union. In the public sector, it is worse than in the private sector, because those of us that actually have to pay for whatever they 'negotiate' don't have a seat at the table. At least in the private sector, management can't FORCE me to pay.

• Dana, I have been saying the same think for years. When a union went on strike, the only ones who profited were the higher ups in the union. They were very good to begin with, but have overstretched and outlived their usefulness.

9. I have been a union wife twice (first husband died) and I learned long ago that when they go out on strike (which I've gone through a lot of times), the union members get nothing but the union officials still get their big fat salaries. The last one I lived through lasted 6 months, which was in the last 5 years of my husband's employment. Because of that, he gets discounted Social Security for life (for 6 months of the last 5 years there was no social security paid in), and because I didn't work and mine is based on his, my social security is discounted for life. When the strike ended they got three cents an hour more than they had been offered in the first place. I'm sure unions did good for working people in the early days but there is no way you could live long enough to make up for what you lose on a strike. The union officials make big bucks and their retirement is really big, too. And the fact that unions endorsed Obama is enough to turn me against them.

• My post didn't say it half as well. I know that union workers were never able to "catch-up" to what they lost in the strike. I don't know, but maybe their union dues may have increased as well.

10. Unions are practically null and void in America. They are made up of members who can't do things or think on their own, in my opinion…. Walmart is a non-union business……

11. If the unions are walking out in protest, I would be glad to shop at Wal-Mart , I would even sack my own goods. furnish my own bags. etc.

• Actually, the unions CAN'T walk out on Wal-mart, because they have yet to convince Wal-mart employees to vote them IN. You can't leave if you were never their.

12. Unions should be abolished! They harm our economy, they close businesses and jobs are lost. Unions run big companies out of country. Those profits are then spread around in a foreign economy, instead staying in America.

Any salaries and benefits gotten by coercion and threatening acts are nothing less than "theft." How about getting paid what you deserve rather than what union thugs can "squeeze" out of employers. Unions protect the scum, the lazy, the incompetent, and even the druggies. But, most of all, unions make a lot of money for the thugs that run it!

13. Lois , Ashtabula OH says:

I agree , at times it can be very hard to find someone to ask directions inWal Mart,,But nit all the time and I have never asked an employee for help in finding a preoduct when they did not know the exact location of that product…and most often they takeme to the product..Possibly we have the only Wal Mart in the country with well trained employees…but I hope not..

14. What I don't like about shopping at Walmart is all the nasty looking Blacks and the nasty clothes they wear, shame on you!

15. There are no unions at Walmart.

16. Most people shop for the lowest price, period.

If I need an electronic/computer accessory I no longer go to Best Buy or Radio Shack but buy on ebay, and that accessory is usually drop-shipped direct from China.

So I wait a few days but pay a price that is a fraction of retail.

(If I need it sooner I buy from Amazon and use the 2-day shipping included in my Prime membership)

17. The best time to shop at my local Walmart is between 3am and 11am. You never want to go there between 3pm and 7pm or between 10:30pm and 12:30am, that is when the fast food places have shift changes, and the place is full of undereducated pushy blacks with bad attitudes.

• cropdusterdoug says:

In my area, Wal Mart sounds like a store in Tijuana. In no way are these people Americans, probably mostly illegals, and I find that to be disgusting. .

18. I like Wal-Mart. Don’t go there often. Too crowded, messy, sometimes empty shelves and no help. But I go there once in awhile, yeah, they have bargains and real good prices on most stuff.

I actually like Kmart better. I go there quite often, they have bargains all the time and now with Sears you get specials e-mailed or in the store or often right at the checkout counter to my surprise.

The stores are nice, a lot more cleaner and a lot lonelier too. Not too much people around most of the time, but you know, I kind of like that. No one to bump into, no stares from people that make you wonder if you forgot to zip your fly or something.

Like I didn’t know if I went into the middle of the week to buy a Lawnmower at Sears and they offered an add’l discount because it was the middle of the week! Nice!

Both good and bads for both stores, but I just like shopping at Kmart for some reason more than Wal-mart.

19. Amazon is the answer!

20. historianMI says:

I don't know where the critics above live, but the Walmarts in MI where I've shopped were well stocked almost always and the people w ere friendly and helpful. Distance prevents me from shopping there often, an d there is one product with their "Equate" house brand name I can find nowhere else. I shop at other stores, also, but go to Walmart when I can.

21. Daniel Spickard says:

My problem isn't with the employees themselves. It's with the management system. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to spend hours in a store trying to find what they want. I'm the person who knows what they need and goes in and gets it, then gets out. I, like most older people hate it when every time you go to the same store nothing is where it was the time before. That only tends to piss people off. Maybe boycotting these stores would startle these brainless idiots!

22. I love how WalMart stands up against union trash! Never give in to those corrupt morons.

23. I'm sorry,but it's offensive to me when someone rants about other people's education level and then can't spell or use punctuatiion correctly. ie "minimum education just enough to get buy" should be "get by". That's one. Use capitals at the beginning of the sentence.
    Whether the workers at Wal Mart have very little education or college degrees has nothing to do with you. If you don't want to shop there, then don't. But don't belittle people who are trying to put food on the table and pay bills. At least they're working and not living on welfare, doing nothing.