Home / Politics / John McCain Sings Cole Porter: “Don’t Fence Me Out.”

John McCain Sings Cole Porter: “Don’t Fence Me Out.”

Written by Gary North on July 30, 2013

Senator John McCain is going to tour Congressional districts in the state of Arizona in August, to drum up support for his bill to give a vote to 11 million illegal aliens. He thinks this is a sure-fire vote-getter in the state which borders on Mexico. As he says, Republicans should support this bill because the party “will never win a national election unless we get a larger proportion of the Hispanic vote than we have in the last two elections.” So, in order to win more elections, Republicans should give the vote to approximately 10 million brand-new Democrats — maybe 10.5 million.

It makes perfect sense.

I did not fully understand his position until I listened to Bing Crosby’s rendition of a Cole Porter song. Then I got the point. All you need to do to understand McCain’s position is to switch one word: substitute “out” for “in.” Let me demonstrate.

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above
Don’t fence me out.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love.
Don’t fence me out.

Let me be by myself in the evenin’ breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees.
Send me off forever but I ask you please,
Don’t fence me out.

Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle,
Underneath the western skies.
On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder,
Till I see the mountains rise.

I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences.
And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses.
And I can’t look at hobbles, and I can’t stand fences.
Don’t fence me out.

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies
Don’t fence me out.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love.
Don’t fence me out.

Let me be by myself in the evenin’ breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees.
Send me off forever but I ask you please,
Don’t fence me out.

Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies.
On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder
Till I see the mountains rise.

I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences,
And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses.
And I can’t look at hobbles, and I can’t stand fences.
Don’t fence me out.

Continue Reading on www.bloomberg.com

51 thoughts on “John McCain Sings Cole Porter: “Don’t Fence Me Out.”

1. mlimberg says:

Oh hell NO!

2. snuggles says:

3. Howard Rosenstein says:

McCain needs to retire in Mexico with all his com-padres.

5. McCain is a great politician if you love liberal democrats. Otherwise, he is a complete disaster.

6. The Obama, McCain, & progressive $1 trillion AMNESTY economic improvement claim is fraudulent! The criminal aliens are already here doing what criminals do! They aren’t producing anything “new”! 11 to 30 million aliens have thrown that many citizens out of work into unemployment, subsidies, bankruptcy, homelessness and part time employment at a cost to the economy of $1.5 to $2.7 trillion (11 to 20 million basis)! Helping yourselves helps no one else!

Between BLS's June 12 million unemployed and 7 million wanting jobs (19M total), plus the employees working 34.5 hrs., instead of 40, another 23 million equivalent jobs and wages are lost, and the grand total excess work force balloons to 42 million (27%).

Our executive-legislative officers are in the process of giving amnesty and citizenship to 11 million to 30 million criminal illegal alien invaders who are being protected from prosecution plus subsidized $402/yr billion by government! Daily activity of tax evasion and ID theft are VERY AGGRESSIVELY PROSECUTED SERIOUS CRIMES… against citizens, not criminal aliens and their organized crime employers! Invaders are subsidized $420 billion ($36,545 ea @ 11 million) to flood the labor supply and drive down US wages to a point where the US can compete globally with slave labor such as China! A government that establishes poverty at $23,000+ wages is demonically engaged in creating illusions that lazy citizens won’t work ((shhhh) for $6/hr cash $12,480/yr), while government’s “mercenaries” really receive $12,480+$36,545=$49,025 tax free, which is $65,367 taxable 25% basis!

Our executive-legislative-judicial officers openly violate oath of office, law, and Constitution to protect tax evading aliens and their tax evading employers. The economy isn’t stuck in a muddy recession. The nation is being overthrown, collapsed from within, looted, and reduced to impotence! Treason is a capital offense because inevitably millions are killed, plundered, and reduced to subservience!

7. 2WarAbnVet says:

Americans should support this bill – only if they have a death wish for their party and their nation.

9. LiberalsRCommies says:

Just more globalistic thinking instead of the representation that Arizonans have a constitutional right to. McCain has no authority to represent mexicans or any other nationality. Most of our elected Senators have forgotten what their job is. We need to remind them. If it wasn't for the blue haired elderly women of Arizona McCain wouldn't even be in the Senate. These elderly people are the ones that we need to inform. We need to convince them that the opportunities that they had when they were young no longer exist and the young people of our country need the jobs, education and support that are being stolen by these illegal aliens. It would be easier getting rid of McCain if we erode his base 1st, then get them to vote for someone else.

10. McCain and Flake need to go….and take Rubio with them….they have betrayed the citizens of this country!

11. McCain needs to leave the republican party. His trip back to Arizona to meet with and join up with latinos to speak about the amnesty bill is no more than a fishing trip for votes to get re-elected. He has a problem. 80% of these used-to-be aliens vote for democrats His best bet to get re-elected is to change parties.

12. paulrph1 says:

McCain's military record shows he is a true hero, a real American. Then he became a Senator and what happened? He has somehow become a traitor to the country that he so served to protect.

13. I'm not sure where I stand in all this

– Obamacare taxes will affect the states & elderly (who can't pay the increased state tax on Medicare, and will eventually have to sell their home and its equity to pay for personal health events in the next few years, and thus move to states like AZ and FL–thus a "housing glut"); BUT we will need more laborers to pay into social security to subsequently pay these "baby-boomer" retireee payments.

When? probably 2020 when it will all begin to deteriorate…

– Rubio/McCain, why are there so many "waivers" in your prospective immigrant legislation? yet just a small percentage of the voting population is hispanic, even less so for ALL immigrants coming from overseas and Canada;

– why are many unions, federal employees, and others seeking a waiver from signing on to Obamacare? do THEY know something I don't about it? The very people intended to enforce it want out of it…but healthcare prices are increasing and doctors are leaving medical offices and universities because of it…

– spanish-speaking (only) town councils along US border towns becuase of the welcoming politics; english-speaking residents moving out of the USA for Mexico & South America due to utility prices and taxation–and politics;

It's NOT about getting votes for hispanics–it's about retaining and enhancing ALL Americans' ability to stay here. Many hispanics have a Christian faith which I champion–they are a very family-oriented, joyous people. They just want to get along, and I learn plenty from those that are my friends. There is an assimilation and proliferation problem which needs addressing. Obtaining their vote may be critical, yes, but it should NOT be the ONLY reason that Republicans–if they choose to–try to garner votes….

Because, don't forget, the elderly and retirees are now fast becoming a formidable voting bloc. Reach out to the them as well, and….

THINK OF THE LONG TERM RESULTS OF YOUR DECISIONS!! (because no one else is, especially politicians)

14. Gailyn Baker says:

Somebody put a big boot on that old ass and send him into Mexico, then he can sing alone on the range.

15. McCain is the Republican RINO version of Pelosi…Say No Way to McCain’t!

16. This blithering idiot should have never been let out of the "Hanoi Hilton".

17. John McCain – a profound disappointment, who has been given far too much leash for far too long simply because he endured incarceration and torture (real torture, not the Democrat-defined kind) at the hands of Vietnamese Democrats … err, sorry, Communists …

Not too much unlike the late John Murtha, who took a few years of presumably honorable service as a Marine, and totally dishonored it as a Democrat politician.

18. “Won’t win a national election unless…”? Not if the republicans keep running liberals like him instead of conservatives they won’t! Where are the conservatives in politics? Some stick their heads up now and then (Rubio, Rand Paul) pretending to be conservative only to prove differently through their actions!

19. John McCain hasn't had a rational brain for years. He is nothing less than a political hack .

20. shearwater says:

The Maverick shows how maverick he is! His assumptions are not based on the principles of our constitution . . . or for that matter sound judgement!

21. Patriot in AZ says:

I think that this "tour of Arizona" will prove to be his demize. He should have been out along time ago, and NOW his true colors are coming out. SO VOTE ARIZONA NAD GET HIS A$$ OUT OF CONGRESS!!!!!!!!!

22. We the people are suffering high unemployment so our intelligent honorable misrepresentatives say we need more people to apply for what few jobs there are. That sounds about right to me. They are the ones who either agree with the policies are to cut people who have a job to under 30 hours a week or they are the ones who sit quietly by as the national debt passes 17 trillion dollars and we wait for the other 8 million illegal immigrants to arrive. I fpeople working 40 hours a week can't afford to live, we will enjoy watching them squirm on less than 30.
    All the politicians who have been in in the past 20 years or so and are having shoulder problems from patting themselves on the back can actually feel proud of the condition this country, they are as mislead as the people they keep lying to.

23. bratberley says:

McCain is no hero he is a traitor to his country, party and citizens of this country!
    "He never was tortured – they were there in the camp with him and then when he came in….he immediately started spilling his guts about everything because he didn't want to get tortured," http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/february2008

24. Is he singing "Don't fence me OUT" because he thinks we are going to try & convict him and his anti-American Senator buddies, then sentence them to patrol the border FROM THE OTHER SIDE?

25. They aren't misled. They are misleading the people they are supposed to be representing – you know…those who elected them and put them in office! They just want to keep drawing their salaries, keep their lifetime retirements, perks from the lobbiests, unbelievable healthcare (the likes of which the rest of the American people will NEVER have), and most of all their POWER!! As for McCain – well, I truly thank him for his service to our country. Outside of that, he's a joke and should get out of politics. He should never have been allowed to remain in this long!!

26. Let him go everyone in Arizona knows he has lost his mind anyway. Maybe they will understand that he needs to go! We do not need illegals voting I. Our elections period how many times do these fools need to hear this?

27. I don't know why McCain got reelected. I don’t know who the idiots were who voted for him. One thing it does prove however, people just don’t pay attention to what these politicians do. Furthermore, it must have been the old line Republicans who voted in Flake, but his name says it all he is a flake now, was then, and will always be. I really do not know why Quayle did not run against him in the primary instead of David Schweikert. Come to think of it McCain is a little flakily as well.

28. Because of him (McCain) I left the Republican party, I’m now a registered Independent. I had to vote for him for president because the only other choice was obama however, it appears we can now see he may not have been much better except I don’t believe he is out to destroy the US as is obama. But although his intentions are different there may not have been much difference between the two regarding outcome. Hopefully we can get back on track in 2014 and get a conservative Senate. It’s getting very serious right now. Looks like our nation depends on it.

29. After reading your post I'm not sure where you stand either. Seems you have become very flexable, by the way indicision is the key to flexability.

30. It's HOME on the range.

31. I’m not a McCain fan but I will not go that far. No one deserved that kind of treatment unless it might be obama! On second thought include holder as well.

32. You were close to right in the first place. The liberal progressive democrats are communists in disguise, make no mistake about that.

33. His term is not up until 2016. So it looks like we suffer with both him and obama for three more years. If we are lucky, if not more!

34. peggyc41 says:

Think I'm passing. Also I'm not voting for him ever again.

35. Carl Savant says:

Amen to the traitor thing!!!

36. paco12348 says:

John McCain likes to hold Town Halls. I hope he gets an earful of scorn for his stand on the immigration bill he and traitor Rubio hatched up while telling lies to the American people about what it contained. Why does McCain keep getting voted back into the Congress? He should have been running as a Democrat several elections ago because he sure doesn't represent the Republicans OR the American people. PLUS, why does he hold Town Hall meetings? He doesn't act on anything he hears. Like a Democrat, he is blind, deaf and dumb. He's a Progressive Democrat in action and a wolf in sheep's coating when he want to get reelected.

37. should have left him in nam

38. James Bernard says:

39. John McCain, is done, worthless piece of shit, hope Arizona people are smart enough to vote him out, a traitor to the republican Party and a has been.

40. geneww1938 says:

McCain could run for president as a Democrat and no one would be upset. Most RINOs would still support him.

41. Winghunter says:

Schlafly: Amnesty Won't Elect Republicans http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/2012/11/27/schla
    “…The notion that the main reason Hispanics vote Democratic is their support of amnesty for illegal aliens and their resentment against Republicans who oppose it is a big political lie…”

42. Sergio in AZ says:

McCain doesn't need any more votes — he gets 80% every time. Term Limits are the answer for folks like him, Rangel, and even Strom Thurmond, who was almost 100 and the nitwits in the Palmetto State kept re-electing him. McCain is filthy rich (by marriage), FWIW. When he first ran for political office in AZ, you had to be a Republican to win elections, so that's what he called himself. It's like if you wanted to be mayor of Chicago, you must be a Democrat. McCain is a (D) at heart, but he's stuck with the (R) label, so he calls himself a "maverick".
    We've tried to unset him in the primaries, but he's invulnerable to all challengers. Or so it seems.

43. Rabelrouser says:

I would rather he sings "Folsom Prison Blues"

44. branded969 says:

They need to put this old senile traitor bastard in an old folks home, NOW! That is about how smart McCain is, do in our own citizens in to get a vote, bring some more welfare people in America so our own children go hungry, AGAIN, so this STUPID OLD FART can get ONE MORE vote! Has this whole country gone crazy? WE ARE BROKE, WE CAN'T AFFORD ANY MORE FREELOADERS ON THE SYSTEM, WHERE WILL THE JOBS COME FROM, THAT THEY CAN'T PRODUCE NOW? Put down your Rose Colored Glasses and take a REAL look at reality! Semper Fi.

45. WhiteFalcon says:

McCain sucks. Arizona should have gotten rid of him in the last election.He should have retired from the military and tthen just stayed retired. On the other hand, it ws Arizona that elected him and ultimately it is them that have to bear the burdon of his stupid shinaigans. I hope that they can come up with soemething better than him when his next election comes up. I think that will be the next mid term election (2018). I wish it were sooner but I think that is when it will be.

46. A reservation in hell has his name on it …

47. Dave Langdon says:

48. MJMonaghan says:

For someone to try to tell me to, let millions of people who are committing a crime every day when they wake up, stay here so they can vote my way, is just plain stupid!! Hey McCain, how about we just put voting machines in Mexico, then they could all stay there and you could still get their votes?

49. I too am an Arizonan, a Constitutional conservative to the max & I haven't voted for McStain for the senate in the last 3 cycles. Then, in 2008 I was faced with a dilemma: stay home & not vote – I never do – & risk seeing the Kenyan Kid in our WH, but then Sarah Palin was chosen as Johnny Mac's VP running mate, so I held my nose about him & in my heart I voted for the fantastic Sarah……….we all know the end result & the damage the obamaliar has done to our nation ever since he illegally took office. I am in awe as to how this gob of excrement has escaped assassination – make no mistake, I do not wish it or endorse it. Having lived thru 13 presidents (I was born during FDR's 1st term) & observing the assassination of John F Kennedy plus the attempted assassinations of the Great Ronald Reagan & Bush 41 for far less impetus than what we are enduring now. The 2014 mid term election has now been elevated to be the most critical election of our lifetimes. If the republican party doesn't take back the Senate & increase the seats in the House, this nation will never return to the greatest nation ever known!! Talk to your family, your neighbors & just about anyone who will listen to get off their duffs & vote conservative republicans running for office in their respective states. Our economic security & personal security will be further destroyed, perhaps beyond redemption, if we don't stop this lying muslim son of a bi itch in his tracks!!!!!

50. Outrageous! This man is supposed to represent America's best interests for legal American citizens! He is supposed to be intelligent in order to be nominated and elected into such a prestiges position. If we have open borders with uncontrolled swinging doors anybody can come in and vote and get subsidized living – shelter, food, clothes, phone free, but who will be paying for it? I guess we had all better consider quitting our jobs or better still get ourselves fired so we can get on the gravy-train too. Come to think about it why do we need a government? It is just a big free for all in this land of freedom. He is a big idiot. Has senility set in with some of these legislators.

51. stainless says:

McCain has not learned a single thing. American voters do not want amnesty. Of any kind! We want you to enforce the law! You let em in, you get em out!