Home / Business / Windows 8.1: Think “Vista 1.1”

Windows 8.1: Think “Vista 1.1”

Written by Gary North on June 27, 2013

If you hated Windows 8, as I did — it shut down two new Asus computers I bought — you will hate Windows 8.1. That’s the opinion of more than one unimpressed reviewer. As one reviewer wrote: “The user interface is not intuitive. It’s almost secretive.”

It’s lipstick on a pig.

Steve Ballmer, the head of Microsoft, says it’s a “refined blend” of old and new. But he also said Vista was great. I once saw Ballmer on the Today Show. He was introducing Windows 7. Matt Lauer made an offhand and quite conventional comment on how many people disliked Vista. Ballmer shot back with a statement about the millions of satisfied users of Vista. He did not mention that these users had gotten Vista by decree when they bought their computers. They had no choice in the matter. Buyers of a new PC don’t, either. They have to use Windows 8 unless they go online and buy Windows 7 for $170.

Microsoft is in a bind. It wants to move to touch-screen technology, and its existing clients don’t. A business workstation is not a Smart Phone.

Vista was a disaster. Microsoft saved itself by giving the world Windows 7. Think of Vista as New Coke, and think of Windows 7 as Original Coke. Original Coke saved Coca-Cola. Windows 7 saved Microsoft.

Windows 8 is Vista in drag. So is Windows 8.1.

You can still buy Windows 7 on Amazon for $170. I recommend this. Mentally tack this cost on to any computer you buy, unless you buy a Dell computer in Canada, where they still sell “non-touch” PCs — a nice touch! I don’t know if Americans can buy from Dell Canada. If they can, they should.

Continue Reading on www.washingtonpost.com

18 thoughts on “Windows 8.1: Think “Vista 1.1”

1. Johnnycake says:

I fortunately bought a 23" touchscreen all in one last year with Windows 7 and it sat in the box for 10 months. I have a Windows 8 laptop and as a novice user, I do not like it. The All in one Windows 7 touchscreen is fantastic.

2. Texas Chris says:

I'm too OCD for touch screen. The cost of screen cleaner alone will bankrupt me…

3. I have Windows Vista. So far I've had to reboot my computer once, and I've only been here 10 minutes. I usually have to reboot a couple times an hour. This sucks, but I put up with it.

4. I still use Windows XP. It does what I need it to do, and I already have all the software I need in versions that run on XP. Why update at all….

5. Tom Harlander says:

I bought a new computer late last year, got Windows 7 with it, one may have to look harder for it, got mine online so they should still be available. Try HP homesite if you can't find it elsewhere.

6. asbrownpe says:

7. I run Win 7 on two computers and Vista on another. I like them both but Win 7 is faster. My Vista machine does not need a reboot ever.

8. Don't Even Try It! says:

Use real English, moron. Then we OLD morons will understand what you're trying to say.

9. I think he's referring to the Ubuntu version of Linux (http://www.ubuntu.com/)

10. I'm glad I am not the only one who hates Windows 8. If you use AOL beware. Your email will freeze while reading enclosed articles (like on this and other email sites) and you have to sign out of AOL and then sign back in multiple times. Seems like Microsoft is trying to be like the Apple IPad (which I love) but this just does'nt work on a Windows PC

11. Jolongus says:

Since all Windows (Gates product) has a back way into it, wish someone could create a whole new soft ware that can't be spied on.

12. Cliffystones says:

I've been running PC Linux, Ubuntu and Linux Mint since 2006. Haven't touched Wind-blows unless I was forced into it by a software provider, which has been very, very rare. I would suggest going to "distrowatch.com" and checking out all of the wonderful, complete-with-application-programs, FREE alternatives to Microcrock products. I'm writing this on my laptop with Linux Mint 13, or Maya. This version will be supported with updates on both the operating system and application programs until April of 2017. Any Linux in the top 10 of the distribution list (right side of distrowatch homepage) is easy to try without installing, and only slightly more effort will have it running side-by-side with Windows. You choose which one you want to use when you start your computer. But after a very short time, you'll find that Linux can do everything faster and without all of the annoyances of MS crap.

Just a little advice from another old (55) moron.

13. Martin Dougherty says:

Google Linux and give it a try. More secureandeasier to use and FREE…

14. You do realize that there is a Windows 7 Desktop in Windows 8, don't you? The newer version is supposed to provide an option to boot up into that mode. Those that hate Windows 8 really don't know it. Maybe that's MS fault, maybe it's a user error.

15. Patriot says:

I read that it was compatible with the NSA backdoor standard

16. Bill Gradwohl says:

I'm an Electrical Engineer & professional software developer. I haven't run a Windows operating system since 2000. I switched to Linux (Fedora version from RedHat) and in all these years I've purchased only one application (CYCAS CAD – $250), all the rest are free. I can do everything I need to do without ever having to resort to Windows. No reboots. No lock ups. No viruses. No malware. No NSA snooping, as a researcher years ago found the hooks inside Windows for the NSA.

Linux is "open Source". Everyone can read the source code that IS what you are running. There's no possible way to hide sneaky code in there as millions of programmer eyes are watching every line of code. If your a programmer, and you and find something you want done different, the source code allows you to go in there and change it to your hearts content.

Keep complaining about Windows while shoveling your hard earned money into Micro$oft's bank account. Ask yourself – how dumb is that?

Yes Linux is different. With an open mind, the difference becomes second nature in a day or two. Linux will allow you to "dual boot" your computer, so you can have both Windows and Linux available on the same machine. You decide at boot time which one starts up. Linux even offers various Graphical User Interfaces (GUI), so if you don't like the Gnome desktop, switch to KDE or one of the others. Install all the various desktops and switch between them till you find one you like. Linux is freedom to choose.

Google, Amazon, and all the major Internet companies use Linux almost exclusively on their servers. Linux runs the Internet. Linux runs most routers and other interconnect gadgets. Linux is the underlying operating system for Android, so it runs most of the worlds smartphones. Why not use what the smart people are using?

17. I ran Vista for a couple of years, never had the slightest problem with it. It ran perfectly and never crashed. Windows 7 was fantastic. I've been using Windows 8 now since the preview, and yes, it took me some time to get used to the new interface, but once I got used to it, it's fantastically easy to use. The Desktop is still there if you want it (I use Desktop almost 100% of the time because I'm a web developer and I need Photoshop and Dreamweaver). If you don't like Windows 8, it's probably because you don't know how to use it.

18. I bought a new PC, and intentionally picked the stray HP machine that still have Windows 7.
    I have 0.0% interested in Windows 8. I don't want touch screen.