Home / Congress / Rubio in 2010: “No Earned Path to Citizenship.”

Rubio in 2010: “No Earned Path to Citizenship.”

Written by Gary North on June 24, 2013

Back in the good old days of 2010, when candidate Marco Rubio was trying to persuade the voters of Florida that he was not in favor of amnesty for illegal aliens, he said this in a debate. Fortunately, the debate was recorded.

“First of all, earned path to citizenship is basically code for amnesty. It’s what they call it. And the reality of it is this: This has to do with the bottom line that America cannot be the only country in the world that does not enforce its immigration laws. It is unfair to the people that have legally entered this country to create an alternative pathway for individuals who entered illegally and knowingly did so.”

“If you do that, you will never have a legal immigration system that works. No one is going to follow the law if there is an easier way to do it.”

That was then, but this is now. Senator Rubio wants his colleagues to vote for the Senate’s bill to legalize illegal aliens through an earned path to citizenship.

The Senate today is expected to vote for this 1,187-page bill before reading it. This is typical. California State Senator Bill Richardson wrote a book on this in the late 1970s. It had the title: What Makes You Think We Read the Bills?

I have already published Stan Evans’ analysis of the bill. The bill is worse than most critics have said.

Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the man who put the knee-jerk into knee-jerk liberal, has said that if the House of Representatives does not pass the Senate’s version of the bill, a million people will take to the streets. I hope we get an opportunity to see this. He was basically daring the House Republicans to kill this bill.

The House version of the bill has no earned path to citizenship.

I fail to understand what the benefits are for the Republicans in the House of Representatives to see to it that their districts are filled with extra voters for the Democratic Party. I also fail to see why anybody should take Chuck Schumer seriously. I mean anybody.

If the speaker of the house wants to promote a gigantic political victory for the Obama administration, he will see to it that Republicans fall into line, and get behind Senator Rubio and Senator Schumer. Somehow, I do not think this is likely.

Continue Reading on

34 thoughts on “Rubio in 2010: “No Earned Path to Citizenship.”

1. Rabelrouser says:

Call Rubio's office and tell him to walk away from this Amnesty Bill. As with any "politician" he has lied to the people of Florida and now is lying to the people of America.
    Fla. office: 561-775-3360
    Washington office 202-224-3041

2. That will be a double flip for Rubio, I dont think any one will buy that. I think Rubio
    shot himself in the foot as to his political career. What a shame for him.

3. Rabelrouser says:

Here are others that need to be cale today:
    Sessions (R-AL) 888-995-8349
    Vitter (R-LA) 888-995-8349
    Cochran (R-MS) 888-995-1953
    Wicker (R-MS) 888-995-2066
    Alexander (R-TN) 888-995-2018
    Corker (R-TN) 888-995-5271

4. Rabelrouser says:

He has here in Florida! Many of the state Tea Parties backed him, and now he is showing that he will go along to get his seat at the table of power. Those groups are going to let him know Loud and Clear that his actions will not be forgotten, and he no longer has the peoples support.

5. I agree with you. When he first came on the National scene, I thought he was a real conservative. As of now, I wouldn't vote for hm on a bet. Talk about lying and two faced. He's hurt himself while stabbing the country in the back.

6. This is why they are called “politicians” and not “statesmen.” I can only think of a dozen statesmen in all of Congress . . . and I may be wrong about half of them.

7. Qualifications for a political office.: Can you work sly? Can you tell a lie? Can you tell many lies? Can you say I don't know? I can't remember? Would you support your lying friends? Can you drink the kool aid? Will you violate the laws, the Constitution? Like or want same sex encounters? If you were honest and stated yes to the above questions to yourself, then your on your way to Washington! Congrats!

8. libertysteve1968 says:

Yep, and we should be surprised?? ANOTHER LYING SACK OF CRAP POLITICIAN? Imagine that??!!

9. I am a republican who lives in Florida. I never bought into Rubio saying he will oppose the immigration bill. he being Hispanic alone led me to believe other wise. After finding out he will do all he can for his people. Glad I didn’t cast my vote for him. He’s is nothing more than a bull shit artist and paid politician. Floridians need to get him out of office

10. As regards Sen Schumer’s “a million people will take to the streets” . . . I’m old enough to remember the same liberal line back in the ‘60s as they crammed the welfare state (“The War on Poverty”) through Congress. As a matter of fact, there WERE riots in the ‘60s. So what? If riots are going to dictate legislation we may as well embrace anarchy.

11. "Not Fair to those who come legally". If you are a Mexican son or daughter of a U.S. citizen, then for your application for an immigrant visa to be reviewed this month, you must have applied before August, 1993. Yes, folks, Immigrant visas are being reviewed today that were filed 20 years ago, by people trying to immigrate "legally". 5 years ago, when I because aware of this official government monthly bulletin, they were only 15 years behind. They aren't just way behind, they are falling behinder. http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_59… So a morally minded Mexican wishes to escape the economic slavery of mexico and wants to "do it legally" finds out he's got to wait 20 years to even have his application reviewed. He's really going to stay "morally minded" and care to "do it the legal way"? As Bill Cosby would say, "Riiiiiight."

12. Hey, Joe – were full – OK? No more room for uneducated, carpetbagging foreigners who destroy our welfare system along with our education system. Let these folks get their own country to support them.

13. Freedom works.
    The free market works.
    2 wrongs do not make a right.
    The welfare system is the problem.
    Goods and services should not be regulated by the government. They always screw it up.
    Free trade for goods and services (i.e. labor) is the way to go……if we can get beyond welfare. Or maybe even if we want to bankrupt the country faster. It is already busted. The only question is when is the crash so we can start rebuilding in freedom. The sooner, the better; it seems to me.

Try freedom. We might be surprised – at long last – at how well it works!

14. David in MA says:

rubio, another wanna-be illegal president, just like obama!
    rubio is not constitutionaly eligable.
    When he was born (yes, in America) his parents where still cuban refergees, they did not become naturalized until marco was around four years old.
    rubio is another obama, don't fall for his con, nice guy? yes, eligable to be president? NO!

15. David in MA says:

"being Hispanic alone led me to believe other wise"
    If you were a cop, this would be considered as profileing….lol

16. David in MA says:

I cannot believe these states representitives embrace any form of immigration, let alone illegal immigration, the black folks should be up in arms over this, their the ones who will be less apt to find jobs over this. And if they think welfare will stay around, the joke is on them.

17. I agree with you, Gary!

18. The GOP is on the verge of being history.

19. First of all, we are not talking about immigration, we are talking about ILLEGAL immigration.

Second, the mexican emigration is not due to a coup or a revolution taking over the country, emigration is an endemic problem there. I could understand it better if we were talking about making an exception to welcome some "boat people" trying to escape the mexican equivalent of Pol Pot or Castro, but it isn't the case. The Mexicans have been free to govern themselves for the past two centuries or so, and their country is one of the richest in terms of natural resources. Before, it was the Spaniards’ fault that they were in a state of chaos, but now the Spaniards have left, so who is to blame for their failure to govern themselves? Why should this become OUR problem, why should we Americans feel obliged to violate our immigration laws yet again to reward illegal immigrants?

And what about the growing numbers of those ILLEGAL immigrants who reject assimilation, refuse to speak English, brandish the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo and are offended by ours? It’s not like there were no La Raza or banners with “Give us free healthcare, jobs, no-tax houses and food – You owe us, America!”, or “We are indigenous with the right to migrate everywhere on our continent” during ILLEGAL immigrant rallies.

Naturally, the politicians care only about gathering more votes from legalized immigrants. The added burden to an already faltering economy, the added security risk to an already insecure country and the unfairness of the whole concept doesn’t concern them one bit. It took me 27 years to become a citizen, and I never spent one day in America without a valid working permit/visa. By the time not even myself, but my adult child – raised and educated in America – was allowed to apply for a “green card”, there had been already 13 legalizations of ILLEGAL immigrants, and that was years ago.

So no more B S, either we have immigration and other laws, or we don’t. And if we don’t, let’s go back to the law of the jungle.

20. When I was deciding to vote for him, illegal immigration was of great concern about him. This statement he made in the debate was a turning point for me. He was willing to say it publicly, and I was willing to take his word at it. I apparently should not take any politicians word at anything anytime.

21. Shame? Do you want more liars in Congress or the start of men and women with character and integrity? Rubio showed himself for what he is – a lying tin-horn politician, and we have plenty of those. By the way, Allen West shot himself in the foot when he voted FOR the horrendous and unconstitutional National Defense of America Act – remember? What? He didn't have time to read it or didn't care to. That's when he lost me for good. Character and integrity is the new normal. Everything else is bullshit.

22. joseph g says:

rubio is nothing but another pos in public office. Is there not one decent politician left in this country. Send the pos back where he came from. He obviously has not respect for this country and its laws. These scumbags are illegal and law breakers. Get the f— out

23. Soffitrat says:

Pretty boy is turning out to be a liar.

24. Soffitrat says:

Who cares about the blacks. We've been taking care of them since Africa, fought a war over them, even given them free cell phones. Still, they are too stupid to be able to care for themselves. I repeat? Who cares?

25. Russell Dodd says:

Yes, apparently we were wrong about Rubio. He started strong, but quickly fell prey to beltway fever. Another one lost to the dark side.

26. Correct. You should NOT take their word EVER while they are in office or running for office. They have spin masters that help them say things in a way that justifies lies in their minds or they receive threats against their families that make them do a 180 from their original position. Term limits are important to fixing the representative form of government, if we care to fix it. Also, they should only be paid like a National Guard soldier who is going to "Summer Camp." They take leave from their real job. Go to Washington for 1-2 months during the summer, address the bills which are written on 1 page with no pork, then return to their jobs. That's how it was designed. The pay should be minimal so they keep their minds on the task at hand and not on how much money they can make. Anyway, as long as the Congress can vote themselves raises, you can't trust 95% of them. I still think Michelle Bachmann is an honest woman. It's too bad Jim DeMint retired. I also think Ted Cruz is keeping his integrity, Rand Paul, Mike Lee and a couple of others, but for the most part, they lie, lie, lie. How much longer will we put up with this?

27. Bob Marshall says:

Since a statesman would never compromise his or her principles under any conditions and a politician would compromise his or her principles in order to advance their own self interest it would be difficult to find a dozen statesmen in our congressional body.

28. Seems as though Rubio has a lot in common with Obama… I wonder if he knows Ayers, too…. and 'goddam America' Rev. Wright?

29. Clarence Crosby says:

Rubio the snake ? NEVER !!!

30. I agree wit you and many others agree too. The problem is I have called my Senators Alexander and Corker more than once because sometimes the line is busy. I assume that is people like you and me calling to ask for a no vote. I don't think they are listening. they only care about potential voters or illegal voters. I hope they will soon see what a mistake that is. But then again when we can have voter intimidation and it be dismissed, you have to wonder who is counting the votes.

31. Rubio is the next candidate for president to be ineligible to hold the job.

The networks are already caling him "a rising star within the Republican Party" to feed the public the message that Rubio is the one. But he doesn't even come close to Obama, since Obama had alt least ONE parent who was a citizen at the time of his birth. But it takes two to be a "natural born citizen." NEITHER of Rubio's parents were citizens at the time of his birth, so he is a U.S. citizen/anchor baby, but not a "natural born one." Better nip this in the bud now, or we wil have another man ineligible for the office sitting in the White House worrying about "his people" instead of American citizens.

32. Does it surprise anyone that his position has changed now that he is in office. He ran on words the populace wanted to hear, he supports legislation the populace DOES NOT want enacted. He is a rising RINO candidate for the next President of the US. How dumb are the American Voters. If a Politician opens his/her mouth, they are lying.

33. To give you an idea of how two-faced Rubio is, please take a look here at what he was doing back then while making that statement [see the link to the original report]: http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/did-you-kno