Home / Saturday Email / No, the Bible Does Not Teach the Welfare State.

No, the Bible Does Not Teach the Welfare State.

Written by Gary North on June 18, 2013

Susan Hamill, a professor at the University of Alabama Law School, has argued in the Alabama Law Review that the Bible says the federal government should tax rich people at 50% of income, plus state and local taxes.

If this sounds like Left-wing propaganda to you, you’re with me.

This is the Social Gospel, but updated for evangelicals. A century ago, only theological liberals believed such anti-biblical nonsense, but there are so few of them around these days that Prof. Hamill is targeting naive evangelicals who do not know their Bibles.

I have refuted Professor Hamill, assertion by assertion. I went to the Bible to show that not only does it not teach this, it regards a 10% income tax as a form of tyranny (I Samuel 8:15, 17). By this standard, Prof. Hamill is calling for tyranny times 5.

If you would like more information on this leftist infiltration of the churches, click the link.

If you have heard similar arguments in your church, click the link.

Continue Reading on www.garynorth.com

31 thoughts on “No, the Bible Does Not Teach the Welfare State.

1. Rabelrouser says:

Theological understanding, based on indepth study is key to a complete understanding of the words of God: the Bible. Too many times, verses are taken out of context because there is no understanding of those verses that preceed, or follow stated verses, that act in a defining role to the actual context.
    Too many times I have seen verses used to "prove" a Biblical point that, as stated, were contrary to the text's actual meaning. This is done by both the liberal/ statist and the Evangelical alike.
    Maybe that is one of the more defining reasons that people can not understand, and reject Glod's Word. Maybe that is why the countries moral standards have become so askewed as to create a " it's what I believe to be right that counts" attitude.
    " My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" is normally used, but in full context, has a greater admonition for the people, a warning for their future, and thefuture of the generations to come.
    (continued in reply)

2. Phillip the Bruce says:

Not only does the Bible consider 10% income tax tyranny (because it is making the government equal with God, who only requires 10%), it also makes clear in the story of Joseph and the famine in Egypt that 20% taxation is slavery.

3. "THOU SHALT NOT STEAL". That's all you need to know when dealing with the cancer of progressivism – or satanism. Anything that opposes the commandment of God is of satan. Get the picture?

4. Apparently we, who are few and yet knowledgeable need to get out there and continue talking and teaching others Truth….
    Nice replies.

5. The bible is nothing more than a work of fiction written by men, so anything in the bible should be taken with a grain of salt. Or maybe the whole salt shaker.

6. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Pr. 1:7

7. Seymour Kleerly says:

A welfare state is wrong but the Capitalist mantra of GREED is GOOD is far worse. Ask Jesus.

8. Shane, go away. This discussion is not for you. Save your snarky 7th-grade commentary for other issues. This is a serious theological discussion. Your entering it is like walking into a particle-physics debate and saying you don't see any particles.

9. I wonder how many of your respondents actually read your refutation. I did. Excellent, and highly readable (except for some turgid passages by Prof. Hamill). However, I must say that I find myself liking a lot of what Boyd had to say. I suppose I'm a two-kingdom guy at heart.
    For instance, the church eventually DID conquer the Roman Empire, but in the process gave up its basic identity. It was transmogrified into the establishmentarian institution known as the Roman Catholic church, which eventually had to be repudiated by the Reformation. This was a Pyrrhic victory if ever there was one.

10. Grumpytoo says:

Shane, you are ignorant of the truth. Upon what facts do you base your statement? Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies written hundreds of years before his birth concerning him. This is a fact. Jesus performed many miracles, including bringing dead people back to life. This is a fact. Jesus died and rose from the dead. This is a fact. All of these facts were witnessed by many people. Jesus said, "I AM, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the father except by me." This is a fact.

11. "THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBORS GOODS"……..The more we turn our backs on His Law the more He'll turn His back on us. He gave us the Law and our Rights, and those tyrants and governments, through their pride and arrogance, that try to suppress his His Word will fail…….."I , THE LORD, THY GOD, SHALL HAVE NO OTHER gods BESIDE ME".

12. the "capitalist mantra of greed" is a figment of YOUR imagination. God commands that the work of one's hands leads to the fullness of his stomach. He also has plenty to say about fair wages, giving a workman his DUE, just weights and measures, working six days (not five, or, as in France, less than four). ABUSE is wrong, but there is godly gain to be had by dint of hard work, application of inteligence, creativity, association…. often labelled (falsely) as greed today. Let a truly FREE MARKET determine prices, wages, and free distribution of goods, and profits WILL increase…. and this is not wrong. WHY go into business except to make a profit? What, am I a wage slave improsined by my own busienss creation and limited by the likes of you? No thanks. Profit IS the best motivator, and GOd established things to be this way. b

13. cbanalyst says:

Yes there are those with more than plenty while others are without. The Bible addresses this in many places. When they leave this world they will have to answer for their life.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul?

14. geneww1938 says:

Shane,
    Years ago I shared you erroneous thoughts. Dr Morris corrected that in 1978 with a lecture on the Authenticity of Scripture.
    Please see my site for a 1 page proof that God authored the Bible and evidence that it has no errors. I pray you will change your mind

15. geneww1938 says:

forgot to give the site http://jc.does-it.net

16. My Bible says: “Those who will not work shall not eat.” . . . 2Thes 3:10

17. No they don't have the slightest notion of the messages in the Bible. And by professing their wisdom they became the fool…

18. gadfly32 says:

The bible has 66 books written over 1500 yrs. period on three continents. and does not conterdict each other. If you can find 66 books written on the same subject over a 1500yr period on three continents that agree, I might consider that the bible was not devinely inspired. Not to memtion the predictions that all came about.including Alexanders distruction of tyre, 800 years before it happened. Read the Book

19. Rabelrouser says:

Thank You Shane for proving my point.
    But you sir will be in my prayers, that you my find the Joy and Peace you are so desperately seeking in your daily life. That you may come to know the Loving God that is waiting for you to finally accept His Love for you.

Read more: http://teapartyeconomist.com/2013/06/18/no-the-bi

20. Seymour Kleerly says:

Would Christ accept the horrific wage and income disparity in the USA.? The masses are busting just to make ends meet, while the fabulously wealthy accumulate yet more wealth.

21. If these guys would only read your books and the ones you edit…

22. "nothing more than a work of fiction" such ignorance Shane. Did writing that ridiculous statement make you feel good? Pride is at the root of why mankind fell, we all suffer from it and unbelievers continue to suppress the truth in unrighteousness, which means that unbelievers hate the Living God of the Bible because His Word exposes their sinful nature. The fool compares himself to other men and thinks he is safe because he lands somewhere in the middle of the pack or the fool thinks that all men come to the same end which completely removes justice from the universe ie Shane becomes dust one day and Hitler became dust. So many things that exist in the world scream against the notion that we exist in a purely physical universe where it's just molecules in motion and electrochemical processes.

23. e1313ruth says:

Has no one given hought to why jesus said SHOW ME A COIN and whose IMAGE AND SUPERSCRITION in on the coin… Matthew 22-17,18,19,20,21,,22…

It was to emphasize that the SUPERSCRIPTION was CAESAR IS GOD…Christians are not required to give tribute monies to false deities…

The SUPERSCRIPTION said Caesar was God.. https://theshalomcenter.org/content/god-caesar-im

24. backtotheplate says:

Dr. North's theological refutation of Ms. Hamill's screed is spot on, but, as a former math major, I am still tying to figure out Ms. Hamill's argument against regressive (which to her means anything non-progressive) tax structures: "the percentage of [higher income earners'] income needed to pay the tax liability shrinks to smaller percentages as their income climbs to higher levels."

How does that work? If I make $1 million after deductions with a 10% tax rate, I pay $100,000. If I make $2 million, I pay $200,000. How are those different percentages of my income?

25. SHIRLEY FORD says:

THE CHURCHES HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH MISUNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE,WE ARE TOLD OVER AND OVER THAT WE ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW…BECAUSE IT WAS A JEWISH THING.WE NEED TO GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING AND LEARN FOR OURSELVES WHAT IS TRUE AND WHAT IS FALSE,

26. it was, and is, because those who put their name on the coin don’t really own it… Everything, every thing belongs to God… Those who falsely claim it for their own, those who would have you paying taxes to them, are putting themselves before God… so, when Jesus said,”Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s…” what he was really saying was that you don’t know Cesar anything… God owns it all!…

27. john smith says:

!st King of Israel , King Saul was severely punished for taxing the people over 10%. King David was punished by God for making a census to estimate the number of men he would have for battle.
    Jesus told his disciples to take little with them when the went into the community to preach. God would provide for them, they would not starve.
    Many times God has punished His people for their transgressions and sins against Him. The rapes committed, the children dashed against the walls, the disallution of families, the chains and the captivity in other lands All because of their sinful ways and giving their allegence to any other thing other than God. God did not cause these things; He merely removed Himself from those who would not have Him as their God. Is tht happening today?

28. john smith says:

If you are to workl to show thyself approved of by Gid the Father through Jesus the Son you will find blessing as a daily event in your life. While others around you find no joy, you and yours will live in plenty.
    Seems unfair, but you will experience the Blessing of God on a daily basis. NOT alwauys a money deal, but you will have enough to eat and food to give to others . Prosperity will be yours.
    In this it is uop to you. Being prompted by your evil nature and hope for prosperity instead of seeking a relationshop with the Father. You will receibene only what you earn. The prosperity angle is due to your own belief system. If you have a Greed only for plenty. You get nothing but if you have God ay the center of your thnking and that with love and earness He will …………… You know.

29. Has anyone ever checked back to to old 1950's income tax forms, I recall it used to tax $100K at 90%

30. Clarence Crosby says:

The lady is a lunatic , my BIBLE tells me to give charitibly , whether rich or not , my money taken from me with the threat of prison or having my property confiscated is NOT charity , It is THEFT .

31. Our enemies correctly perceive that the U.S. is a Christian nation. Otherwise, why would they disguise their efforts to create a dictatorship as "Christian duty?"