Home / Civil Rights / “Loving” Christians Who Plan to Steal Your Money by Ballot Box

“Loving” Christians Who Plan to Steal Your Money by Ballot Box

Written by Gary North on March 27, 2013

I am writing a detailed critique of one of Jim Wallis’s fans. She is a professor of law. She wants the rich to pay for the welfare state. She thinks 70% of their income is about right. She calls herself a moderate.

I am serious. She really thinks 70% is reasonable. But so did Kennedy. He lowered the top bracket from 91% to 70%. This was heralded as a low-tax reform.

Recently, I posted an article commenting on another of these Wallis fans. http://www.garynorth.com/public/10806.cfm

The woman finally got around to reading it, although I told her it would be posted the next day. She is incensed.

Mr. North: Tonight I finally got back to your website to read what you wrote:

You see this badge, boy? You see this gun? Get out your wallet. Jesus sent me. I am here to get you to help the poor. I am paid $80,000 a year to do this. Do I tithe? That’s none of your business. What I do is to make sure that you tithe. Not to the church. To the state. And when I say “tithe,” I mean it figuratively. I don’t mean 10 percent. I mean closer to 30 percent.

Now then, you go get your wallet. The Bible says you owe this to the poor, by way of the state. What’s that? You say you never read this in Scripture? You’ve been reading the wrong Scripture. I mean the real Scripture: the Internal Revenue Code. That’s what Jesus wants you to read very carefully — you and your accountant.

Mr. North, this is what you do: you re-phrase what someone says to be what you WANT the person to say, so that you may insult and criticize in order to make your point. The above paragraph is what you make my position out to be, but it is not even CLOSE to what I said. You don’t even know me; if you did, you wouldn’t say that the above narrow-minded statements define what I believe in. I don’t make $80,000 a year. I make less than $30,000 a year as a musician and I am proud of what I do. I don’t go around trying to get people to give money to things, except for volunteer singing for community fundraisers, which usually are not related to the church at all and therefore Jesus is not mentioned. Your words are insulting and it is no wonder that I had never heard of you before. You and your work are likely to sink into oblivion because you don’t care much for truth, and you sure don’t seem to care much about the majority of people of the world.

It’s very fortunate for you that Jim Wallis doesn’t debate you publicly. His position is strong and based on compassion, while yours is weak and based on greed, backed up by your own hypocritical interpretation of the Bible. Sure you have studied his positions for years, most likely with your mind already made up about everything in the Universe. Wallis’ positions, well-stated, would likely make your own beliefs look pretty shoddy.

You have a very high opinion of yourself and your interpretation of Scripture. I don’t intend to ever go back to your website again – it is singularly uninspiring. Sharing what we have with the poor is not a political stance, although it can be. It is simply the right thing to do – whether Biblical or not – and I intend to continue to do it. But I wouldn’t expect you to care anything about that, because it might mess up your shiny shoes.

Oh, sorry – I made a snap judgment. I have never even seen your shoes; maybe they are not shiny after all.

Here is a musician who earns little money. Fine; it’s her life. But she wants you and me to pay for her choices. This is the heart of the welfare state. Those who make bad choices financially want subsidies from those who made good choices, and who reaped their reward from paying customers.

This woman thinks that I am in some way threatened by her refusal to remain a free rider on my site. These people really do overestimate their value to producers who are seeking a profit by meeting the demand of paying customers. They are free riders in life, and they think the rest of the voters owe them comfortable lives. We don’t.

She says that I re-wrote her words. She meant nothing like this. Really? She apparently does not think that tax collectors are not backed up by people with badges and guns. She lives in a self-imposed fantasy land — a fantasy land run by this ethical principle: “Thou shalt not steal, except by majority vote.”

I talk about badges and guns. Why do I do this? Because it’s about badges and guns.

(For the rest of my article, click the link.)

Continue Reading on www.garynorth.com

12 thoughts on ““Loving” Christians Who Plan to Steal Your Money by Ballot Box

1. Texas Chris says:

Dr. North, rest assured, your words will not "sink into oblivion". I heard them, learned from them, and am quite comfortable for doing so. On your advice, I bought gold while working in Kuwait, 1996 to 2001. The price ranged from $280 to $320, and I spent entire paychecks on it.

Now it's worth $1,600.

Thanks to you, Dr. North, my retirement will be comfortable; my son will be secure his whole life; and if he is frugal, so will his children.

2. RivahMitch says:

The essential nature and immorality of theft does not change simply because the agency of government is introduced and the vehicle of the ballot is used.

3. Dr. North, your words will not "sink into oblivion". Thank you.

4. ncbill12 says:

Given her income level I wonder what 'state subsidies' she has taken.

It's amazing how much the government wants us to get hooked on subsidies – next year my family of 4 will qualify for 'obamacare' subsidized health care based in this year's income.

So do we pay full freight into our current health care plan or save a few bucks out of pocket by forcing other taxpayers to subsidize our health care premiums?

"the first one's always free, kid…"

5. G. Kuhns says:

The slug line should read: “Loving ‘Christians’ Who Plan to Steal Your Money by Ballot Box.” The word Christians should be in quotes. . . . Anyone who steals in any manner or form is not a Christian. They may be loving – in some cases – and they may call themselves “Christian” but they are not Christians.

6. What a place. I could and rightfully so go on about how wrong, lets be honest, Money worshiping this person is. I'm not going to go there. You all know that, no reason to beat that horse. Dont ya'll that have posted before me take this the wrong way cause you're me. All this about who is a Christian or not, about who is loving or not, who owes who or not. Alot going on huh? These remarks from others are not and never were meant for dialog. They would never have been said. I wish I was "smart" enough to say a couple of quick bits and jabs. I guess I'm not that smart. But I am wise enough to tell you, both sides of you, that Jesus loves you however mad that makes you. Before you grab a laptop to post some arbitrary quip try to stop being so angry at God and cry just a little bit. It did me good, several times. Your a good kid Charlie Brown. and only you and God knows it.

7. geneww1938 says:

Christian = Christ like … I do not met that standard yet othera refer to me as such. I refer to myself as a Bible believer who tries to live like a Biblical follower of Jesus … http://jc.does-it.net has a 1 page absolute proof that God Authored the Bible.

8. MR NORTH!
    For GOD's sake (literally) please edit your headline; the scare quotes should go around "christians".

9. I'm a musician and I work my ass off on my craft. I teach privately and play gigs and I'm not rich. I've never taken any subsidies and never will.

10. This woman is no Christian, she is a goat, a sheep in wolves clothing, leading the gullible into eternal hell-fire with hasatan

11. Why do these people keep insisting on taxing the rich more? Wouldn't it be prudent to have a fair tax where everyone will pay their equal share.

12. Actually, the Bible says that the poor will always be with you… lawyers are what is wrong ith this country. I have been paying into welfare for over 40 years… you can't help lazy people. It is like feeding the bears… it ruins thier self-sufficiency… don't do it.