Home / Free Market / A “Christian” Attack on Walmart and Anyone Who Shops There

A “Christian” Attack on Walmart and Anyone Who Shops There

Written by Gary North on March 6, 2013

Gary North’s Reality Check

I wrote a critique of Leftist commentator James Howard Kuntsler, who praises local government action to make it illegal to open a Walmart store or any other “big box” store, as he calls them. You can read my critique here: http://www.garynorth.com/public/10717.cfm

Kunstler has coined a phrase to describe Tea Party supporters: corn-pone Nazis. If you do a search for “corn-pone Nazi” you get a slew of articles by Kunstler.

He of course responded by calling me a corn-pone Nazi. You can read his response here: http://kunstler.com/blog/2013/03/reply-to-gary-north.html

He apparently thinks he is a very clever fellow for having coined this phrase, which he uses over and over. Yet what were fascist economics and Nazi economics? A government-business “partnership,” in which the state set the terms of trade. You know: just like the Good Old Boys on the zoning commission or city council set the terms of trade when they zone out Walmart or any other business. (The best book on Nazi economics is Adam Tooze’s 2006 book, The Wages of Destruction.)

I got the usual batch of outraged emails from Leftie haters of capitalism. But this one caught my attention. It began with this: From: Mike C. USN Veteran mike@[WXYZ].net. It cited my statement: “When Christianity adheres to the judicial specifics of the Bible, it produces free market capitalism.” He cited me accurately. I wrote that statement here: http://www.garynorth.com/public/10717.cfm.

Then he went on.

Message:When Christianity adheres to the judicial specifics of the Bible, it produces free market capitalism.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Jesus would have abhorred the likes of Walmart. I do not recall him charging anyone for turning water to wine or parting the red sea. He would have been diametrically opposed to a company whose workers need food stamps.

Walmart is a force of evil in cahoots with our mortal enemy, the chinese. If we clumg to any remnant of Christianity, we would shun them. I am sorry you are to wrapped up in Kunstlers tone and disdain for the clownish American shopping mall culture. He is RIGHT to condemn Walmart.

If you were a Patriot, you would too.

Buy American. Shun Walmart traitors. Keep main street alive. Or are you ok with them OWNING us? Because they are now moving in on our movie theatres. To hell with China, and their partners.

I would rather starve than buy from our ENEMY.

You’ll see …

The man does not understand economics. He also does not understand Christian theology. Finally, he does not understand Jesus’ words.

I will now examine his statement, point by point. When you are finished reading it, I hope you will be immunized from similar state-deifying ideas that are opposed to liberty, opposed to the free market, and opposed to economic theory, and all in the name of Christian patriotism.

The theological point of miracles is this: they identify historic events as outside the space-time continuum. They are outside normal physical cause and effect. This is why atheists deny that miracles have ever taken place. Atheists fully understand the theology of miracles. They dismiss this as a false worldview.

But Mike C, USN Veteran, does not understand any of this. He sees Jesus as rejecting economic cause and effect, namely, TANSTAAFL: “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.” Because Jesus performed a miracle front and center at the wedding at Cana, and he performed an even bigger one from the shadows at the Red Sea, the idea that there should be prices on scarce resources is appalling to Mike. Such an idea is not Christian.

He failed to mention the Gospel accounts of Jesus’ 40 days in the wilderness. At the end of 40 days of fasting, the devil tempted him to have a free lunch. Turn these stones into bread, the devil suggested. Jesus responded, citing Deuteronomy 8:3: “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4).

The devil was tempting Jesus to substitute power for productivity. Jesus was not supposed to honor the limitations of reality in satisfying His own needs. Jesus rejected this suggestion for what it was: the power religion. Jesus did not preach the power religion.

Mike C. Went on. “He would have been diametrically opposed to a company whose workers need food stamps.”

Really? They need food stamps? Why do they need food stamps. I understand fully that they legally qualify for food stamps. So do 47 million other Americans. I fully understand that the food stamp program is the largest single subsidy that the U. S. Government offers to the gigantic agribusiness industry. I fully understand why Congress continues to make full-time workers eligible for food stamps. But I do not understand why Jesus would have made eligibility for food stamps a criterion for corporate ethics.

(For the rest of my article, click the link.)

Continue Reading on www.garynorth.com

51 thoughts on “A “Christian” Attack on Walmart and Anyone Who Shops There

1. In German the word 'kunstler' means 'artist' … so there you have it, James Howard Kunstler is a true artist of leftist BS propaganda.

2. One caveat: These stores also manipulate government coercion to their own advantage, often through "redevelopment," one of the more crooked government policies around. Costco is notorious for getting governments to use eminent domain to seize private property, pay the owners less than what the property is worth, and have the governments hand the property over to Costco. In Huntington Beach, where I live, Walmart came in in 1999, bought the city council, and got a sweetheart 75-year lease on the lot of a former school. As I wrote in The Orange County Register editorials, the school district should have put the property up for auction to the highest bidder.

3. DrBarbara says:

I am a Christian, I am a patriot, I am a Walmart shopper. I mostly buy my groceries at Walmart because the price is far less than grocery stores. If Safeway or City Market could offer the same products at the same prices I would consider shopping there. I also buy children's clothing at Walmart because they grow out of them so quickly it would be foolish to buy them at Macy's or Dillard's at two or three times the price. I also read labels at Walmart and buy American when I can. One would be surprised at how many products are American made if one would read the labels. I will continue to shop at Walmart as long as they can give me the best bargains–when they cannot I will go to another store that can. That's the American way–that's freedom.

4. Ditto on that: I can't afford to buy at the larger stores, so Walmart is my first choice when I need anything. There's that word: CHOICE.

5. re Kuntsler comment: "He (Jesus) would have been diametrically opposed to a company whose workers need food stamps." Here's what the Bible says:
    "Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ." (Ephesians 6:5)
    "Slaves, obey your human masters in everything; don't work only while being watched, in order to please men, but work wholeheartedly, fearing the Lord." (Colassians 3:22)
    "Slaves are to be submissive to their masters in everything, and to be well-pleasing, not talking back ." (Titus 2:9)
    "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. " (1 Peter 2:18)

"Even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “Those unwilling to work will not get to eat. Yet we hear that some of you are living idle lives, refusing to work and meddling in other people’s business. We command such people and urge them in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and work to earn their own living." (2 Thessalonians 3: 10-12)

6. GreyHawk says:

In his case it means idiot.

7. I see a lot of this trying to justify what is happening now to what happened in the Bible. When people find it nescessary to tell me they are a Christian, I immediately keep a close eye on them. Can't we just deal with the reality we have now?
    We would buy American made but it would take us a life time to find the things we need that are made in the USA. We have a government that could control imports, but they deal with that like everything else. Whoever pays the most gets the most. This country has gone down in a hurry but it has been going down for many years because our politicians cannot live within the means available, and haven't for along long time.

8. Dan Kennedy says:

Seems a person who feels he must call a Christian a nazi is a very troubled person.

9. profitup10 says:

I wrote this for another debate but it fits here for WE THE PEOPLE MUST TAKE ACTIONS NOT JUST POINT OUR PROBLEMS – WILL YOU HELP?

The Fed blamer people are just like the politicians – they want to not really do any work to KEEP THE REPUBLIC – they just want someone to blame. That being said – it is not Federal Government that will save the USA – it as you and I have preached for years, it is the job OF WE THE PEOPLE to use our STATE LEGISLATORS TO USE ARTICLE V and repeal the 14th – 16th and 17th AMENDMENTS – which will force the DC government – all three branches back under the ORIGINAL CONSTITUTIONAL STRUCTURE – a limited small weak government with LIMITED enumerated POWERS and the States would be strong with few limits to do the will of the citizens of the many States to their needs.
    Now let me challenge the blamer groups – WILL YOU HELP KEEP OUR REPUBLIC? Take a positive action send this to all your friends and families – post where ever you visit many many times – it will THE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THEIR POWER TO CHANGE GOVERNMENTS – KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND TRUTH – WILL YOU DO IT? http://articlevprojecttorestoreliberty.com/activi

10. SunshineKid0 says:

Das ist sehr richtige (You are absolutely correct).

11. jmelaslajas says:

But the point your are missing is that Wal Mart is a monopoly. The govt. has even said it was a monopoly, but since it had low prices it was ok if they drove everybody else out of business. I'm definitely not a leftist hater of capitalism but Wal Mart does not promote free market economy but because of its size can force its competitors and its own suppliers out of business. Wal Mart promotes a 'we're the only one' economy and they are backed by the federal govt. that systematically drives small business out of business by their rules and regulations. Look at any small town that has a Wal Mart and then see how many small business competitors that are still business that were in business providing jobs, personal service, etc. before Wal Mart came in. I'm from a small town and I've seen it happen first hand. Ask Levi Strauss why they don't make jeans in the U.S. any more. Check and see how many of their suppliers have had to file for bankruptcy because Wal Mart is their largest buyer and squeezed their profit margin into bankruptcy. So, sir, you are wrong about the Jesus not being against a bully that puts everyone else at peril just so that they can benefit. I believe that Jesus would support the small guy against the big conglomerate every time. If you can, please point out one time in the Bible that Jesus took the side of the big guy over the small guy. Personally I never remember a sermon that the preacher pointed out how Jesus was siding with the big guy (govt., corp.'s ) over the small guy (individuals, mom and pop stores). So, yes, I'm all for a free market economy, but I'm not for a monopoly whether it be Wal Mart or anyone else.

12. Sam Walton , lived the American dream .. and those who diss walmart are too lazy to do it themselves ..

13. What is the school district making off the LEASE? Should you not go to your SCHOOL BOARD MEETING, it would have been their decision on the property

14. How come new recruits don't make enough to live on and need food stamps. I think that makes the statement that defends the wall mart shopper

15. Yes choice or OVER REGULATED by these people that really have a psychologic problem "CONTROLLING OTHER" & WON'T GO 4 HELP. SO WE "HAVE" to put up with their disease

16. This man Mike is an idiot. Without a modicum of common sense his ability for valid decision making skills are greatly compromised. He will always be on the wrong end of the stick. A pathetic hopeless fellow. God was a 100 percent for capitalism.

17. That's how the COMMUNIST THINK!

18. We get it, Gary. You love your cheap Chinese products. Way to support America!

19. @ jmelaslajas: Remember what Jesus said: "Render unto Ceasar (the big conglamerate), what is Caesar's…."

I have two examples of my own economic theory:

1. would I buy a Toyota hybrid car, or a Detroit-manufactured car at $10,000 more in costs, for less quality? (what would YOU buy, and for what reason??)

2. a new smartphone app promises to search for the cheapest prices for prescription drugs, sometimesvarying by hundreds of $$ for one drug (see recent ABC news). (again, what would YOU buy??)

The fact remains that is is neither Christian nor un-Christian philosophy to purchase quality goods at lower prices. THAT is free market economics. THAT is choice….You want to compete, then do the same, but w/o government assistance.

20. C powers says:

There’s the rub.

21. Any time I go to a school board meeting, there are few people there. Of course it is the most dim-witted exchange possible but, you have to be tough in today's world.

22. Bill McCroskey says:

Are the Chinese workers who benefit from the jobs produced by Wal-Mart shoppers sub-human or any less deserving than other races to have jobs? I don't think (nor would have Jesus) any race is any more (or less) deserving for producing goods or offering services that others would find useful and pay for.

23. profitup10 says:

Walmart has competition – Target, Costco, and others . . In South Texas it is H.E.B. superstores. these are the perfect example of a FREE ENTERPRISE economic system – if a small business cannot provide a VALUE then they must compete on price – a battle they will not win . . Big business can not proved special services and unique products. See TRADER JOE'S specialty markets – they have better products and in some cases a lower price than Walmart or Target.

If businesses are to grow and prosper they must adapt to the changing markets, find better quality, items that have demand that the bigs do not carry. Yes, competition makes all thing superior.

24. Bill in Mizuri says:

I agree with you ! . . . Some people wish to badmouth WalMart because they are not perfect. . . . . I too shop at WalMart, but I also patronize the locally owned business' to help keep them afloat. . . . If I need a "one time use" tool, I still try to make it an American one if at all possible. . . . . Some people forget that WalMart is the largest employer in the USA and only want to talk of the "low wages" they pay to employees. . . . The fact is that a lot, maybe even most, of the WalMart employees couldn't do any better, or maybe not as well, anywhere else. . . . . A lot of WalMart jobs are for entry level personnel. . . Where can a "entry level" person go with no experience and command the $60-75,000 per year job that they THINK they deserve ? . . . NOWHERE ! . . . . So, while any big business has its inherent problems, I think WalMart has done fairly well for its customers and its employees, and I will continue to shop there. . . . They must be doing something right !

25. In my area there are better options than wally world so I seldom shop there and when I do my purchases are limited to American produce and bakery (locally baked) goods. I will not buy their clothes as I can get better things at resale shops. Resale shops are all locally owned and support the local economy.

26. G. Kuhns says:

How can someone love consumers and hate successful retailers? That make as much sense as saying: “I love jobs but hate employers.”

27. These Commies always use intimadation to try and defeat people who are real Americans. COON-stler is just another mouth piece for Obabler.

28. The scripture doesn't mention Wall-Mart. Your point is a stretch. We are to be good caretakers of what the Lord has given us. Are we to waste our energies working for a company like that if another opportunity is available? No. Are we to continue to support such a destructive business when other options are available? No.

You are right in one thing though, the people employed at stores like Wall-Mart are little more than slaves.

29. Doc, I drive two used Fords. I have gotten excellent service for my money. I use a cheap pay-as-you-go cell phone because I don't browse, text or talk as I drive. It fits my lifestyle–my choice. I still have a land line and deck top for browsing. We all make choices to fit our incomes and lives. They are neither Christian nor, non-Christian. That is just what we do to get by.

30. pappap42 says:

In the Pittsburgh, Pa area if Walmart employees are on food stamps then the union company Giant Eagle have all their employees on food stamps also because they pay less money and take dues. What am I missing?

31. There is no room for patriotism in Christianity, at least the version that Jesus Christ taught. We are all sinners, we all need God's grace — American, Chinese, Iranian, etc.
    Nationalism (the formal version of patriotism) is meaningless in the full context of the gospel of grace. The geographic location of the dirt on which you were born holds no relevance to your life as a Christian.
    In fact, once you become a true Christian, you are no longer an American or Canadian or Iranian or Chinese. This is a fundamental tenet of Christianity.

The Walmart story is a non-story. Mike C. is just woefully economically ignorant. What he's says about Walmart should be ignored as childish babble.

32. bonniewheeler says:

I worked at Walmart and have never been on food stamps. I hear a union bias in some of the statements here. I think the hate for Walmart comes from union officials and their gullible members who are making these corrupt union leaders wealthy by doling out their hard earned money to them. Unions have run many of our jobs overseas but try to tell a fanatic union member that and you are completely ignored. I know because I was reared by two fanatics

33. As long as Obama and his kind are in office we will be forced to shop at Wal-Mart and all discount stores. Either that or go without necessities. They buy in bulk, which the small stores cannot, but they are a necessity for most of us. IF employees of these companies are taking food stamps, it's because this administration has opened a huge door for benefits to go to
    those that do not really NEED things. When I see the carts of benefactors of the government, I see things that I cannot afford to buy and unnecessary things. They and their children dress better than our family, they drive better cars, they have bigger TV's, etc. Where is the need? Created in DC, of course.

34. I totally agree with you, Gary

35. Pete0097 says:

Titusville FL passed a "No walmart ordanance" so walmart just bought a property outside of Titusville and built a store. Titusville then simply annexed the property to get the tax money. Where there is a will, there's a way

36. I went to Walmart today just because of this revolving story, I think I'll be on Amazon this afternoon too!

37. Jesus also said, "The man that doesn't work, does not deserve to eat." Meaning just that, "no free lunch."
    One of the commandments says, "Thou shalt not COVET." meaning that what belongs to you is yours, and what belongs to me is mine.. So much for sharring,(class warfare) You give to ceasar what's his, and to GOD what's his, (means) ceaser should mind his own buisness and not extort what belongs to others!,,,

38. Ro Powell says:

The main opposition to Walmart comes from unions and competitors who hire anononymous lawyers to file frivolous lawsuits using EPA violations as a pretext to stopping development. It is used constantly in the Peoples Republic of California.

39. Ron Vietnam Marine says:

Hey idiot! I shop at Wal-Mart and live in Tyler TX. I’m 6″2″ 195# and would like for you to try and stop me if you got the balls! But like all cowards you need a gang and I don’t..just me Force Recon..can ewe deal with it puke?

40. BS. Stop the damn BS

41. I to am a Walmart shopper. Anything I can get at Walmart I do! I was so happy when they made the Walmart near me a Super Store because now I can buy all my groceries there!!! The Union Stores like Safeway and the rest are so over priced and of course it's because of the wages they are forced to pay the Union Worker's and the benefits they get and of course they are so selfish that they have their Pitty Parties AKA Strikes because they are not willing to have skin in the game!!!! So Walmart is my place to shop!!!!!!

42. rUaChristophobe says:

That's interesting. The dear leader "Hitler" was an artist as well and I wonder if there's a connection?
    On the outside the left love to call people they disagree with Nazis, but on the inside they love
    everything about the name. They certainly like using Hitler's tactics.

43. What would everyone do if suddenly Walmart decided that it wasn’t going to buy Chinese or Oriental products anymore, but only goods made in the United States? The prices would go up considerably, but they would be completely supporting American industry. Would you still be bashing Walmart, and with the suddenly higher prices, would you continue to shop there?

44. Old timer! says:

I’m sorry, but let me try to ‘fix’ this discussion, as most, not all, have missed the meat of it!
    Walmart IS an American company! Lowes IS an American company! Target has a huge warehouse and distributing hub where I live! Sears/Kmart is an American company! All of these people are talking about ‘Buy American’, but what they MISS is the fact that ‘Good Ole Boy’ Main Street vendors, CARRY THE SAME PRODUCTS AS WALMART AND TARGET AND SEARS!! Just at a higher price, meaning they buy less from manufacturing than Walmart does! And that’s the point! WE want low prices, Walmart knows this, so they buy in quantities that BOTH: make the profit margin paid to the manufacturers, AND the price paid by us consumers low as possible!
    So where does this ‘buy American’ slogan come from? It ISN’T the American people!! It’s from detractors of ‘big business’, and when you look at them, most of their stuff is designed on one thing! HATE! This guy Mike C, proclaims a Jesus that doesn’t exist! Why I say that? Because he says he is a Christian, but it’s obvious that he’s filled with hate and loathing! THAT Jesus never existed! Mike C hates the Chinese! But the REAL Jesus loves the Chinese people as well as African people, as well as Russians, Jews, me, you! The Word said “if you don’t LOVE your neighbor, you have no part with me!” Therefore Mike C and these guys are just trying to plant seeds of hate!
    The correct way of looking at this, is I’ll buy what, where, and when I want too!! Mike C, I have a right to live the way I want to in this world! I choose to do it in love, NOT hate! I choose to buy what I want or need, as cheaply as I can because I make less than a Walmart employee! When I buy at Walmart, target, or my local IGA, I look for products that are NOT made in China, NOT because I hate the Chinese, but rather I don’t trust them to provide food products that are safe for me and my pets! It’s NOT the Chinese People, it’s the fact that they don’t know that some ingredients in the pet food for instance, that can kill my pet! What I HATE here, is their lack of knowledge of what their employers are doing to the food supply!
    Walmart is not the problem! Buy American is NOT the problem! OUR government is the problem! People like Mark C is the problem! HATE is the problem! I laugh at the person like Mike C, who buys a cheap hammer, then complains that it broke! It WAS made in the USA, but was no better quality than one coming from India! Mike C and others use this prevaing philosophy that ‘Made in the USA’ means made better, and we should be selling to the rest of the world, NOT because of trade agreements, but because WE’RE BETTER! We’re superior! Sounds like the Pharisee in the Bible, who prayed “I thank thee Lord, that I’m not like this servant”! The servant prayer “Forgive me Lord, for I am a sinner”.

45. You are in the minority as it would appear. How many Americans choose a more expensive American-made good over an inexpensive import? Trade wars like you try to instigate are what hurt the little guy, not low-cost goods.

46. it's a lose-lose for Walmart…..cut prices and they are predatory and monopolistic, sell American-exclusively at higher prices they will be decried as price gougers…the media is always looking for a boogie man

47. so where I live, a Walmart AND a Meijer sit within 1/4 mile of each other selling the exact same product in stores with the exact same footprint. By YOUR estimation the Meijer should be out of business right? Walmart cannot set supplier prices, they can either refuse or accept a price, the supplier may choose to refuse or accept a price as well, Walmart is still only half of the transaction. Your argument is just a product of your view, try this view. Walmart standing up for the little guy consumer that can't "demand" the lower prices on their own. Walmart fighting the big-bad suppliers and manufacturers so that a consumer's dollar goes farther. I would wager that Walmart did you wrong in life somewhere, which is unfortunate, but a store that went from one outlet to the largest private sector employer is something that should be held up as an example of good business not goliath stomping on the "little guy"

48. can't the same be said for ANY starting job? I don't know many McDonalds workers, Subway employees, or Bartenders rolling around in 2013 Cadillacs! My first job when I was 10 was paid $4 an hour, I didn't make over $10 until I was 18. The skill level required to stock shelves won't support a family, that should be no shock to ANYONE.

49. I attempted to post a short one sentence comment that contained no objectionable content. Yet I got this message:
    "Your comment must be approved by the site admins before it will appear publicly."

I abhor censorship of my 1st Amendment right to Freedom of Speech in any way, shape or form. And I am shocked and greatly disappointed that the Tea Party, of all things, would mimic the control-freak Prog oppressors, rather than encourage the utmost freedom of self-expression, as it should be doing if it postures itself as an upholder of our Constitution as our Founding Fathers intended.

Accordingly, this will be the last time you "moderate" anything written by me. For I am forthwith "unsubscribing" and quitting my Tea Party membership.

50. JohnnyBob says:

Dr. Barbara, I was in the newspaper business for nearly 40 years and worked mainly in the advertising /business side of the business. I have in my time seen companies come and go. Usually because someone else came up with a better idea. ie: Dollar Tree, etc. Right now Walmart is struggling with their profit picture over all. I know because I worked for one as a greeter for 18 months and saw what was happening in the store. They had a "transition" manager come in and makeover the store when the old one who had been there for years would not succumb to mistreating the employees. 5 managers left immediately. Store staff was cut by 20%. Employees transferring into the store have said it was the worse run, unfriendliness store they have ever worked in. Bonuses were eliminated under the story that we had "too many accidents!" I could go on but I would be revealing what my new book will be about. "Confessions of a Walmart greeter."

51. bonniewheeler says:

tncdel , they do all posts the same – they are just making sure that everyone follows the rules that given at the beginning:
    We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.

Read more: http://teapartyeconomist.com/2013/03/06/13152/#ix