Home / Videos / Video: America’s #1 High School Basketball Team. Can This Be?

Video: America’s #1 High School Basketball Team. Can This Be?

Written by Gary North on March 1, 2013

The #1 team, according to the New York Times, is Lone Peak High School.

With a name like Lone Peak, you can be sure of one thing: it’s not located in downtown Detroit.

“There was one team we played that was literally laughing when we were warming up,” the senior center Eric Mika said with a chuckle. “And we beat them by 50.”

At a national tournament, the Chester, PA Clippers walked onto the court with a 61-game winning streak. They walked off on the wrong side of a 73 to 50 rout. (Note: turn up the audio: click the speaker icon.)

Here is how it was done.

Continue Reading on www.nytimes.com

13 thoughts on “Video: America’s #1 High School Basketball Team. Can This Be?

1. Dwight Mann says:

Not to be racist, but I am impressed by the standards, the dedication, the camaraderie, the coaching, and the records set.
    I am also impressed that these boys are all white. I thought that BBall was a black, inner city thang!
    Guess that I was wrong. . .

2. Streetball is an inner-city thing. And-1 mixtapes are an inner-city thing. Team ball can be played by anyone, which is great because team ball usually wins.

3. slickzip says:

YEA for Lone Peak it's time the liberal sports writers got it shoved in their face ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

4. Not to burst anyone's bubble but senior Center Eric Mika is 6' 10". In the second video one of the players states "…our tallest guy last year was 6' 3"…" This sounds like a basketball factory school. In other words, they go out and recruit to fill their needs.

5. I have to retract my previous comment. The NYT article states that Mika transferred from a private school. Apparently all the members are local residents. I am truly amazed.

6. Would've been interesting to see how this team stacked up against the LeBron James-led Akron St.V-St. Mary's. LeBron is in a class by himself, but it looks like this team has better overall balance. BTW, my brother-in-law taught at St.V-St.M, and had James as a student. His take? "Le Bron was a good kid, but he wasn't really motivated in math. He got B's and C's." I guess he hires accountants now to do the math for him! 🙂

7. Dood, you're almost famous!

8. BlueViolets says:

Excuse me but I don't think most schools go out and recruit the shortest kids on campus to play basketball. And I might add that just because you are 6' 10" does not mean you have the talent or will acquire the talent or even want to play basketball. Sounds a bit like sour grapes on your part..

9. RangerInParadise says:

Well, there you have it. White boys can't jump.

10. Controse says:

Yet another example of team work working. Let's all get on the same team. Let's get off the African-American team, the Latino-American team, the Chinese-American team and join the American Team.

11. My sentiments entirely. Using the name "Afro-American", always makes me wonder what is going through their mind. Is being "Afro-American" better than being a proud American? None of my many Black friends say Afro anything, they are loyal Americans and darn good Americans at that. "Afro" sort of states that you are not really happy here. If that is truly the case, load up and go where you will be happy. Personally, I am staying here, plenty of food to eat, plenty of nice people to associate with, freedom to make what I want of my self, decent pay for a decent days work,. and no punishment for worshiping the one True God, the creator of everything (including you).

12. Rattlerjake says:

This is one team you won't see Obuthead doing a photo op with. None of them look like they could be his son.

13. Seymour Kleey says:

My high school basketball team is usually ranked in the top 10 in the state, and almost always, all white. And I'm not talkin Alaska or Montana.