Home / Politics / The Utter Incompetence of Two Pro-Life Senate Candidates

The Utter Incompetence of Two Pro-Life Senate Candidates

Written by Gary North on November 7, 2012

Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock are political idiots.

There is no excuse for anyone running for office to be as appallingly ill-prepared as those two naive, well-meaning boneheads were.

They will go down in history as the two stooges of 2012.

They were both ahead. Then Akin spoke of rape as not usually leading to pregnancy. Mourdock then tried to one-up him by saying that God intended any rape.

These guys get the political Darwin award of 2012. They are now removed from the political “gene pool.”

Were they so utterly naive as to expect no one to raise the abortion issue? Yes. Were they so utterly blind as not to expect the question that has been raised for 40 years: “What about rape?” Yes.

Blind men bluffed. And lost.

They were both caught flat-footed on the #1 issue facing any pro-life candidate. “Gee, I never thought about that before.”

They did not prepare. They did not hire anyone with public relations experience.

Weeks ago, I wrote to an old friend, Marsha Friedman, an expert in training businessmen in the mine field of public relations with the media. I told her she should use Akin as an example of what not to do. Then came Mourdock. I told her she needs to do an advertising piece with these two front-and-center.

It’s hoof-in-mouth disease. It is treatable.

What should these naive, unprepared men have said. “I stand behind the right to life of the unborn.” That is their legal and moral position. But, no. They did not think of this.

What should Akin have said in response to the rape/pregnancy question? This: “The baby is not the aggressor. The rapist is.” Simple. Sound-bite usable. True. But, no.

As for Mourdock, in 1992 he went on record as saying abortion is legitimate in some cases. He was squishy from day one.

I have a question, which is not rhetorical: Why are God-fearing Christians so ill-equipped in public to deal with the real world? I have another: Why don’t they understand either logic or rhetoric? Because most of them don’t. And it shows.

33 thoughts on “The Utter Incompetence of Two Pro-Life Senate Candidates

1. John Meyer says:

One time "Bonehead" political mistakes by a canidate, I think the voters are even more of a "bonehead" for withholding a vote for anyone because of one statement at one instant in time………… "Results speak for themselves" what did you get in place of the "bonehead" canidate…….. 4 more years of Zippy and his demon-crat trash………..thats a better choice, NOT The only option for a lame duck President is to impeach him for the overseas deaths of 4 Americans.

2. Two more idiots that left their supporters hanging. TOTALLY UNPREPARED. Their election would have given the GOP control of the senate. STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I think that article is a bit harsh. Many polilticians make quaffs and regret them. This statement "God-fearing Christians so ill-equipped in public to deal with the real world? I have another: Why don’t they understand either logic or rhetoric?
    hmmmmm… that comment is way of base.

4. delmar Jackson says:

I do think there is a double standard and certain people can get away with saying equally stupid things because of their race,ethnicity or political affilaition. However, your point is correct. some things you know you will get into trouble on. If a woman asks you something about her weight or her hair, you learn it is best not to answer. if you want to be a politician, you need to speak as one.

5. The people spoke. Anybody that would vote for Obama/Biden don't want honesty and these men were honest. What is really scary is over half the people have bought into Obama's crap. If you have money Obama will be after it. If you don't get all the welfare and Obamaphones you can cause the well is going dry soon.

6. Today I watched my country die.
    When a puppet man not vetted, who can spend more money than he possesses, can lie to people for four years with the aid of a once great press send us on to the path to ruin.
    Today I watched my country die.
    For four years this country has been in a frenzy of tearing down.
    Of tearing down religious values.
    Of tearing down of the expatiation of a country of law.
    Of lauding lack of morals as equality.
    Today I watched my country die.
    Being a student of history I weep for the millions that will die over the coming years while this petty dictator finishes off what he has started.
    I weep for my child and her children and all the other children who will
    die wondering where the next meal is going to come from.
    Today I watched my country die.
    The end will not be swift but it will be painful, and I am old and can do nothing but pray to the God we have abandoned for mercy on us.
    The Rest of my days that will be my lot.
    Today I watched my country die.
    RIP America

7. Bill McCroskey says:

The fiscally conservatives and the socially conservatives (that are usually fiscally conservative also) will continue to lose even more elections going forward. The mold has been cast for this country and that is every election cycle socially conservatives will be harder to elect in the general election. Many fiscally conservatives must pledge their souls to the socially conservatives to win their respective primary and then it comes back to bite them in the general election. I personally abhor abortion but the electorate of this country continues to become more pro abortion (younger voters are much more liberal on social issues including drugs) and thus it will become even more of a losing position going forward. Please don't shoot the messenger … I don't create the news, I just report it. Dr. North in the above essay is correct, these two didn't just shoot themselves in the foot … they put a 12 gauge in their mouth and pulled the trigger.

8. First of all what Akin said is true, pregnancy is rare with rape and high levels of stress do alter the hormones and probably help prevent pregnancy in most cases. This is a biological fact. Murdock didn't say God intended the rape but that he intended the pregnancy big difference. Funny how that is so radical but Obama voting to let babies born alive from an abortion die in a back room, aborting full term babies, aborting babies just because they are female is somehow mainstream. The media hyped it all and overlook anything he does/says. Can you imagine the outcry if Romney would have said to vote for revenge! Dean I agree 100% with you. I am weeping too for my children and grandchildren and also for the medical care I will be denied in the future due to age

9. RedMeatState says:

so how does one explain Joe Biden retaining his Senate seat all these years?? No way he's smarter than Akin or Mourdock!!

10. We have a bigger problem with the RNC simply tossing someone under the buss and give their challenger a super boost. .
    A good thing to remember from the Democrats play book is that you never give the opponent anything too use against your candidate.
    Tony the Wiener excepted

11. Not off base at all, GayLynn. That statement is more like right on ! ! Most Christians are not prepared to defend their positions mainly for two reasons. They are not educated by their Pastors, preachers, or teachers to do so and they almost never put themselves in a position to do so.

12. That's easy ! ! What do you expect of the village idiot ???

13. I would say the truth of Gary's question is demonstrated every day, tragically, in the fact that a majority of young people raised in those "God-fearing Christians(')" homes turn away from the faith the first time they hear a clever argument against it. Both they and their parents are totally unprepared for the rhetoric the world will throw at them. I've seen it happen so many times, not least of which in my wife's family.

14. Amen. The city of God has fallen from within. Fifty long years and now it has arrived. Our biblically based constitutional republic is no more, but in name. We let if happen and have no one to blame but ourselves. I will fight on and the price may be heavy. I hold local and county elevted offices and will use them to still do what I can, including getting bills through the state legislature. I may drown in the flood from Washington but I will try to be faithful. Actully it is God who is faithful.

This article is over the top and doesn't even mention the abandonment of these men by the Republican Party. We lost a state rep. (75th dist.) because sometime in the past he had said that "some girls rape easy". The Republican Party abandoned him and he barely lost. The Republican Party should also be accountable. There is a hugh double standard. Dems can say what they please without accountability. This article just supports that double standard!

15. Biden's far more intelligent, when it comes to Political IQ. Mourdock impressed the hell out of me through his soulful explanation of what the auto bailouts did to Indiana's pensioners, but that was it. He was soulful. He didn't have the guile to be as good a politician as Biden. Biden also exists in a Machine state. Democrats own that state. He had tight control of the state party apparatus. Republicans don't get that. It's the "ground game" that matters. Biden would never put himself in the position where anything he flubs would actually matter. Misspeaking in front of a friendly rally crowd may be fun to laugh at, but it doesn't count against him. Most of the people who go to political rallies don't know who the candidates are, and don't care, either.

16. I think that the problem is that religious people don't base their beliefs in terms of logic. They base them in emotion. This is a mistake. If you don't have the time to examine your beliefs and aren't prepared to annunciate clear reasons why you believe the things you believe, maybe running for public office isn't the right career move. If you hold a controversial position, especially, the onus is on you to be able to defend that position. You have to be able to defend yourself, which, for people that support the right to bear arms, should be second nature at this point. You can't rely on divine providence, you must provide your own portion and shield.

17. Gene W 1938 says:

Disagree … They were abondoned by the one world, NeoCon RINOs. They and just like the Domocrat leaders who do not believe the Bible and are self centerd, power hungry, user of people. They care less about established laws that do not align with their goal … forget the Constitution since they prefer the UN that they can control through their power brokers. http://jc.does-it.net is a good primer.

18. Morons in a party of cowards and morons…

19. Why are God-fearing Christians so ill equipped in public to deal with public relations? I think it's because they come from the age of innocence where they believe the best in people. It doesn't occur to them that they are in shark infested waters where someone is trying to trip them up! They give simple, honest answers, assuming the question was given in the same way. When GOPers deal with Democrats, they MUST realize they are dealing with the devil. They cheat, lie, steal, slander or anything else to win! The Repubs need to get a clue. They can't be naive sheep dealing with wolves. It should be STANDARD policy to hire trainers for these candidates on how to deal with wiley crooks!

20. Good article, lots of good comments all around.

21. Texas Chris says:

"Abortion is a state issue."

There. Crisis averted.

But no, these morons feel entitled to make decisions about every jot and tiddle of everyone's live at every level. Moral authoritarians deserve to lose.

22. Thank you for saying exactly what I feel. The liberal media took everything said and twisted it to what they wanted and I am sick of people believing it. I am proud that these men stood up for what they believed in and didn't bow down to the liberals just for the votes. Hold true to your beliefs and God will guide you! Thank you for your post.

23. I liked your comment, but just want to let you and others know, We ain't dead yet!! We clean up the Senate in 2014.

24. What I'd like to know is why Republicans didn't go after Obama for being so extremist on abortion that he even defended killing NEWBORN babies who survive abortions.

Romney lost because he was too namby-pamby towards Obama. He should have played hardball with the dog-eatin' Kenyan by, when Obama demanded his tax returns, demanding from Obama a genuine birth certificate while also calling for an independent investigation and DEPORTATION hearing for Obama [since a non-U.S. citizen is NOT entitled to impeachment proceedings].

And while Romney was scheduling the deportation hearing, by twisting RINO Boehner's arm to arrange it [as the House could have done (for the Senate has exclusivity only when it comes to impeachment proceedings)], Romney should have fired one salvo after another about the many egregious acts by Obama THAT ROMNEY DIDN'T EVEN BRING UP:

Like how Obama unconstitutionally gave out over a million work permits to illegal aliens, despite over 23 million of our own citizens out-of-work, and also has been unconstitutionally giving them amnesty for a mere $465 processing fee.

And Romney should have countered Obama's criticizing of Romney on abortion by exposing the fact that Obama is so extremist that he even defended killing NEWBORN babies who survived abortions!

Also Romney should have called for answers on Benghazi, "Fast & Furious," Solyndra, etc., etc. Romney has a veritable smorgasbord of "entrees" he could have assailed Obama upon, but all he did was nibble like a fat woman on a diet.

25. The Republicans did not want to win. The ones that have the power( the Bushes etc.) believe in one world government and the campaign was a sham. We are reaping what we have sown. Read the book of Habakkuk,(the bible) the whole book (4 chapters) and it describes in detail what is happening today. Unless this country as a whole, turns back to God we are doomed. It has happened in the past and when we don't learn from history it repeats itself. Mankind, thru the ages, has not learned its lesson.

26. fdcampbell says:

This article is totally inappropriate. Why do we shoot our wounded?
    The semantic errors made here were trivial in the grand scheme. The violence on the Republican "establishment" against these conservatives was obscene.
    It is clear that true conservatives (being principled) are an anathema.
    Gary North: You are part of the problem. Focus on our enemies, not our friends.

27. I'm not into mysticism, but what you said about the globalists is correct. As the Bible says [and the same holds true when it comes to distinguishing NWO puppets from those who put U.S. sovereignty first], "By their fruits shall ye know them."

28. Why is it that every election the Republicans have to be drawn into the abortion issue? This was settled in law some 35 years ago. They foolishly fall for the trap when they should realize that a majority of Americans favor having the choice. As someone else stated here, thy young Americans are under 35 and never have lived in a society where abortions were illegal. If they want to fight against abortions do it in their churches, with their own families, but keep it out of politics.Yes, I am an angry, old, white man that is afraid my Party is about to leave me and I have no where left to go.

29. What people don’t understand (including the writer) was this was PLANNED ok???

You see the big CLUE. It says both men were ahead in the race. It was not suppose to be that way with those in charge, the elite, Soros or whatever…

So, they were told to take a fall. They did that by DELIBERATELY stating something so offensive they would LOSE.

It’s all a little game they play to extract favors. We don’t have a two party system anymore. We only have THOSE IN CHARGE!!!

30. Gene W 1938 says:

These two men were done in by RINO's who hate the Bible and all it's tenets. They are anti Constitution. If they were supported and their message endorsed … they would have won. If I remember correctly, these men examplified the Republican Platform or is that platform's "anti-abortion" and "Pro Constitution" just a facade.

31. Blair Franconia, NH says:

We need pro-life candidates who won't shoot themselves in the foot. I don't care anymore.

32. Amen – from a Canadian.

33. Ronald Jaggers says:

The ball game is over and we lost, The monkey is dead and the show is over.