Home / Regulation / Buy This Appliance in 2012. Next Year, It Gets Regulated to Death

Buy This Appliance in 2012. Next Year, It Gets Regulated to Death

Written by Gary North on October 15, 2012

This is the last year when you will be able to buy a dishwasher that uses 6.5 gallons per load. The regulators are cutting this to 5 gallons next year.

There will be new regulations on energy usage, too.

This is from my friend Jeff Tucker.

The regulation in question is “Energy Conservation Standards for Dishwasher, 77 FR 31918.” You can spend the day reading the history’s most obtuse bureaucratese, complete with legislative history and technical detail, along with testimony for and against and the Department of Energy’ final judgement. Or you can just internalize my summary: get used to hand washing your dishes. As of May 2013, dishwasher manufacturers are not going to be allowed to make or sell a machine that works.

Why do this? Why, water consumption. This will save water.

Right. 1.5 gallons per day per family.

How the heck can the regulators get away with this? You really want to know? Here’s the answer that the Department of Energy cites: “7 U.S.C. 7701–7772 and 7781–7786; 7 CFR 2.22, 2.80, and 371.3. Section 301.75–15 issued under Sec. 204, Title II, Public Law 106–113, 113 Stat. 1501A–293; sections 301.75–15 and 301.75–16 issued under Sec. 203, Title II, Public Law 106–224, 114 Stat. 400 (7 U.S.C. 1421 note).”

So there.

He says this is merely the final blow.

And this is only a few years after the regulators made two additional changes that degrade the value of the dishwasher. They required that dishwasher soap stop using phosphates, and hence the soap scum stays on the dishes and doesn’t get whisked away by this natural chemical. The only real way to get dishes clean in many water environments is to add your own. Plus, with the default setting on hot water heaters at a tepid 120 degrees, the water isn’t hot enough to really clean, unless you have taken the time to hack your heater.

You can buy detergent with phosphates, but you have to buy a lot of it in one order. A rival brand, also good, is Bubble Bandit. Bubble Bandit comes in smaller packets. A packet would make a good Christmas present.

You want to see the difference? Click this: scumless.

The regulators are also after clothes washers.

As you continue to ponder the implications of a government that is directly targeting your domestic quality of life for destruction, consider this parallel legislation: “Energy Conservation Standards for Residential Clothes Washers FR 77 32308.” This one won’t go into effect until March 7, 2015. So you have two and half years of somewhat clean clothes. After that, it’s pigpen.

It took me hours to dig through the details of this regulation that has been batted around since 2008, but here is the upshot.

Washing machine will become “Washington machines,” useless and heavy steel squares that are more expensive than their predecessor that actually washed clothes. Built by government dictate, Washington machines can’t use much more energy than a wristwatch. Amazing. Infuriating.

This is going to create a strong market for used washing machines. My wife uses an old top-loading (i.e., no stink) Maytag, which were good machines Way Back When. She bought it cheap a decade ago. It replaced the used Maytag she bought in 1977.

Continue Reading on lfb.org

17 thoughts on “Buy This Appliance in 2012. Next Year, It Gets Regulated to Death

1. They want us to be controlled by the UN with Agenda 21.

2. American thinker says:

You can buy phosphates at Ace hardware and add some to your dishwashing detergent.

3. SoCalSteve says:

I will just run the Dish Washer twice and use 10 gallons.

4. Texas Chris says:

Therefore, the government edict causes the exact opposite outcome as was intended.

Same with Phosphate-free dish soap. We simply BUY the phosphates and add MORE than would have been in the soap in the first place, then run the dishwasher TWICE to get the dishes clean.

5. Texas Chris says:

There's gonna be a shooting war in Texas if our clothes and dishes don't get clean.

6. Danged straight. Chris. We don't take kindly to dirty dishes and laundry, and we certainly don't take kindly to interfering EPA moron. not a one of those bozos ever gets their hands wet or dirty doing anything and have no idea what it entails to keep a clean orderly house. Besides I set up a test and found that I use a lot more water when I have to do dishes by hand. The dishwasher is a lot more efficient, using a lot less water.

7. Pam Maltzman says:

I have bought TSP at HOme Depot and Lowe's, and I find that it works. So does the dishwasher additive "LemiShine." You add about a teaspoon of LemiShine per load. Works really well. I have an older portable GE model, bought it about 10-11 years ago, and it was a couple of years old then. I don't recommend buying any new GE appliances; I've had 2 toaster ovens in a row that haven't been worth shit. All of their stuff is apparently made in China now.

I have tried the suggested use of borax and baking soda, but IMO it didn't do jack shit for the dishes; didn't really get them clean.

Have also used TSP in my clothes washer and it works there too. When I use it, I use about 1 teaspoon per load. I have an old washer and dryer, Kenmore brand, and they work fine. Bought 'em used. They have been repaired a couple of times each, but I'd rather have them than the no-good, expensive front loaders out there.

8. Borax is for your clothes washer, not the dishwasher.

But I can't agree on the opinions of HE washers.

My LG TOP-loading no-agitator high-efficiency washer is light years ahead of the older top-loading designs in the amount of clothes it holds per load and how well it spins out the water (no dryer needed for most clothes – just hang to dry)

Pick a LG TOP-loading HE washer when your old one dies and you will be very happy (I agree I'd never buy a U.S. front-loader)

9. clean pits says:

Don't ever buy a front loading washing machine! Spent two months of having "clean"clothes with nasty smelling pits! Tried every combination of wash cycles. Sometimes I ran loads through 3 cycles, and they were still stinky! Finally reinstalled our old top loader with its minor problems. Voila! Immediately the stinky pits were gone!

PS (Anyone want to buy a like new front loader?) 🙂

10. Diver Down says:

I agree Pam, don't buy GE, their all made in China and GE's ceo is Emmert (sp.), a multi-multi million dollar donater to Nobama AND secured the contract for hundreds of thousands of multi million dollar WINDMILLS ! Mmmmmmm???? There's no conflict there I'm sure. By the way, Jack Schitt dosen't do dishes, his wife Noa dose. You know Jack is the son of Awe Schitt and O. Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt Inc. They had one son, Jack. In turn Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt, the deeply religious couple produced 6 children: Holie Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Giva Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins: Deap Schitt and Dip Schitt. Against her parents' objections, Deap Schitt married Dumb Doodoo, a high school drop out. Dumb and Deap Doodoo have no children yet. Jack died last year and Noa married Ted Sherlock, Noa now goes by Noa Schitt-Sherlock. Just FYI.

11. Texas Nell says:

I wonder if any of those posting here are aware of the eutrophication of the waterways that results from phosphate discharge. Why do you think phosphates were removed from detergents? Just to make your dishes less clean?

12. alconfederate says:

I think this is Nanny Statism overreach on one hand and one or more government departments trying to justify their existence on the other, Phosphorus isn't -that- hard to get out of wastewater. A properly-tuned BNR plant can take it out to the 1.0 – 0.4 mg/l level consistently and some can do better than that. With the right chemicals, you can get down below 0.2 mg/l. These new government standards are ridiculous.

13. Congress needs to vote on these laws, it is not the place of a "regulatory" agency to create law.

14. It "saves" water just lke the low volume toilets do. A toilet that formerly used 7 gallons to wash down all the waster, when reduced to 5 gallons, requires 2 flushes to get it all down. That results in an environmentally beneficial gain of -3 gallons with every flush. Mandating a toilet witha selector that provides a choice of big or little flush (depending upon the circumstances) would work better, although be a costly burden.

These enviornmental regulations are as draconian as mandatory sentencing laws, where a 17 year old gets life imprisonment for stealing a loaf of bread — so that crime will be deterred.

15. You need to use "HE" marked detergent with front-load machines and top-load machines that call for it. That will eliminate all these problems.

16. So I will run the dishes twice and my washing machine twice. Morons, the lot of them.

Our government is a bunch of elitist marxist pigs. When the revolution comes, I hope we take a cue from France and bring back the guillotine.

17. 1.5 gallons per household per day is nothing, huh? There are 114, 761, 359 households in the US according to the last census. Saving 1.5 gallons per day per household comes out to 172,142.038.5 gallons per day, 5,164,261,155 gallons per month, 62,831,844,052.5 gallons per year. Yeah, 62 billion gallons in a year is nothing at all.