The series of mass shootings this year have persuaded Americans that they had better get guns while the getting is good. They are buying like there is no tomorrow.
Here is how it works.
1. Lunatic with weapons shoots into a crowd.
2. Crowd members, not being armed, fail to shoot back.
3. Media feeding frenzy begins.
4. Gun control advocates smell blood.
5. Gun control advocates call for more controls.
6. Democrats in safe districts demand more controls.
7. Republicans fight back, knowing they have the votes.
8. Gun owners buy another gun, just to be sure.
9. Non-owners buy a gun, just to be sure.
10. Democrats can’t get a gun control law passed.
11. People forget.
Obama’s election in 2008 led to a huge increase in gun sales.