Home / Spending Us Blind / Obama’s Free Food Card: “Will Vote for Food”

Obama’s Free Food Card: “Will Vote for Food”

Written by Gary North on April 3, 2012

We have all seen men standing at street corners who are holding a sign: “Will Work for Food.” It’s nonsense, of course. They could get fast food jobs. They are really after handouts of money, not food. People diving by don’t have food in their cars. So they give some change.

The food stamp program is different. It is aimed at voters. Some of the voters are poor. Others are less poor. They favor programs where other voters pay taxes to provide food for poor people. They are very generous with other people’s money. Half of American adults pay no income tax. But they vote.

Food stamps under Obama have soared. The recession is the cause. His spending programs have barely lowered unemployment.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly referred to as food stamps, has grown dramatically under President Obama’s administration. At the start of his term, in January 2009, there were approximately 32 million Americans receiving federal assistance from SNAP, costing more than $3.6 billion per month. According to the most recent data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), there are now more than 46 million individuals receiving SNAP benefits, or roughly one in every seven Americans. The cost to taxpayers now sits at $6.2 billion per month. These figures exclude the cost of the program’s management, enforcement, and oversight. The fiscal year 2011 SNAP program cost a record total of $75.3 billion. Based on the current trend, that number will continue to rise in 2012, and could reach $80 billion.

Is this possible? An $80 billion annual bill for free food? Yes.

The significant increase in SNAP’s cost is attributable to several factors. Food stamp benefit increases were included in the 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. As a result, available monthly benefits for individuals increased by 19 percent since January 2009, far above the rate of inflation. Compounding the increase in average benefits awarded is a rapid influx of new participants. The economic downturn certainly played a role in the increased demand for assistance.

However, in an effort to encourage increased access to SNAP benefits, the USDA under the current administration, has also discouraged the use of asset tests as a benchmark to determine recipient eligibility. An asset test tallies a potential recipient’s countable resources, such as bank accounts, in determining his or her need for assistance. With the relaxation or elimination of asset tests for many states, there is more room for manipulation and exploitation of the program. This has caused some to point out that even millionaires are eligible for food stamps if their monthly income is low. In fact, a Michigan man who won two million dollars through a lottery game show admitted to still using food stamps, because his lump sum payment was determined to be an asset rather than income.

Along with the expansion of SNAP benefits and access comes fraudulent behavior at the expense of the taxpayer. Food stamp fraud, defined as “trafficking” by the USDA, represents more than $750 million in waste. There are many different kinds of food stamp trafficking and abuse. Most commonly, traffickers will sell their food stamps, now given in the form of plastic debit cards, at less than face value for cash. These sales are even attempted online through Craigslist and social media outlets. The Wall Street Journal has also reported larger, more organized cases of fraud.

Fraud is small potatoes. This main factor is the growth of welfare. The government grows like a cancer. The federal government pays multi-million dollar bonuses to states that are aggressive in putting more people on the food card roles.

Continue Reading on

31 thoughts on “Obama’s Free Food Card: “Will Vote for Food”

1. bullrider says:

The Founding Fathers would be appalled and would also want to see the liberals (ahem) running the country put in jail. Where they belong.

2. niles wheeler says:

"Why work for money when I can have it handed to me?" has become a common attitude, and sadly people are losing touch with the American dream…to become successful for themselves.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough
    to take away everything you haveI"
    Thomas Jefferson
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

3. max penn says:

More Nazi techniques, they used guns as bargaining chips, "your gun for food" May come to that soon.

4. OBAMAHATER4SURE says:

What is going to happen to the SNAP program when OBUMMER runs out of your (TAXPAYERS) money?
    I think they will just tell Ben Bernekey to speed up the printing presses to make more worthless dollars.
    I have an idea for a new reality show, it's called, OBUMMER THE WORLDS BIGGEST LOSER.

OMG=OBAMA MUST GO, ON NOVEMBER 6th 2012 WHEN YOU VOTE REMEMBER IF HE IS RE-ELECTED FOR 4 MORE YEARS YOU AND EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY WILL BE SCREWED FOREVER MORE. REMEMBER ABO= ANYBODY BUT OBAMA IN 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. America is not a democracy,,,Bejimamin Franklin:You have a Republic if you can keep it …1787…I am not ready to turn over this country to a government run social society democracy. I remember a time when we were free from regulations….A dollar ninety nine at the check out was .a $ 1.99. people looked out for themselves and family, a time when to start a business all you needed was a building , a product, and coustomers. Then came the " New Deal " which has proved to be " The Raw Deal " for working americans Do Over !!!

6. "If a Man [person] shouldn't work neither should he [she] eat". An excellent scriptural imperative. The wonderful part of living in a Republic is that we have the right to starve if we don't want to work. Please don't ask me to support the people on the street corner because of social concerns. I disagree with the statement in the article 'they can get jobs in fast food". As a former business owner, i would never hire someone that looked and dressed like most of the street people do because of what my customers would have thought. I realize some would say how horrible to say that, but unless you've had to contend with how customers worry about their facilities please reserve judgement. There are many situations where men,women and children should be cared for , too numerous to name here, but this only applies to those who could but refuse to work for their keep. God bless note: my mother (divorced) supported 6 children with no help so I do understand what I'm talking about

7. Carol Goodwin says:

Do these solicitions go to just anyone or do they have to have some kind of ID? Sounds like a great way to bust the Obama. Just have some federal …….oh never mind; they are all on his payrole. too!

8. Benjamin Franklin also said "When the people realize that they can vote themselves money – this herals the end of the republic."

9. This article tells it the way it is and it is exactly what Obama wants. Where are the 50% that are paying taxes? I am one of them and I contact my government representatives in one form or another almost everyday day. Tell them to shape up or their terms in office will come to an abrupt end. And, have you noticed, that as soon as they win an election they seem to forget the people who voted for them and just start doing their own thing. IT IS SO SAD!!!!

10. Actually this is putting money into the economy … let me explain …. when I was shopping at WalMart in Pompano Beach last week this rather large African American dude riding a scooter was paying for groceries with his Food Stamp card for a young white couple and receiving cash for it follow by a high five before moving on to his next "customer" … there you go … instant stimulus … we need more of these large people with large Food Stamp accounts and presto!!! Economic Recovery
    It's all in how you "perceive" it fellow working Americans

11. http://www.petition2congress.c...

Go to this website and sign the petition to vet Obama and check into his eligibility to be president. Send this to everybody on your mailing list. Ask them to do the same. We need all the signatures we can get.

Add this to list of reasons we need to get obama out of the White House. We have to make the politicians aware that we won't take it anymore.

12. sean murry says:

i dont give nothing if i can go out and work for it so could they.

13. No it's not because the government is still taking money out of my pocket and redistributing it to someone else. That's called STEALING not putting money into the economy. If I could keep my own money and buy things than that would be Economic Recovery. This is not helping our economy. Helping the economy would be to stop all the bailouts, Green technology subsidies, etc. Taking money from one person and giving it to another isn't helping our economy.

14. Don't forget to vote out as many Democrats & Communists in the Congress also.

15. Fred-Dayton says:

We have a charity here in Dayton Ohio called "Clothes the Work" where donated clothes are available free to those who need to be better dressed for interviews and jobs. No government involvement, no taxpayer money just helping those who want to work.

16. In California they changed the name of the food stamp program to CALFRESH so the bums would be "stigmatized" for borrowing our money.

17. this nazi bastard is lower than whale shit.

18. Actually this is putting money into the economy … let me explain …. when I was shopping at WalMart in Pompano Beach last week this rather large African American dude riding a scooter was paying for groceries with his Food Stamp card for a young white couple and receiving cash for it follow by a high five before moving on to his next "customer" … there you go … instant stimulus … we need more of these large people with large Food Stamp accounts and presto!!! Economic Recovery

Julie Cool down … I am on your side

19. "Fathom the Hypocrisy of a Government
    that requires every citizen to prove
    they are insured… but not everyone
    must prove they are a citizen."

Add to this that, many of those who refuse or are unable to prove they are citizens, will receive free insurance paid for by those who are.

20. Poimen37 says:

Obama don't work for money, he just takes it – like welfare – he has his hand out and wants all people to have their
    hand out and become their KING. He needs to go to jail forever and I mean now.

21. Some people actually need help, but there are way to many freeloaders that take whatever they can get and then commit fraud on top of that. They could easily stop some of this fraud with simple restrictions where you cannot get anything but food using these cards. I see signs at cash for checks where they openly say they will accept these cards for cash. I have stood in line with people that have absolutely nothing to purchase. They get to the checker and buy some mints and request cash back. Now they go on to buy whatever they want just because it is allowed by a faulty system that could easily be fixed to at a minimum work as it was intended, for food only purchases. Why can't our government brains do the basics correctly. If this were privitazed, the controls would be in place.

22. IVE always been conservative working since age 14. BUT my mind is being changed by the class hatred spewed by Obama and regurgitated anew by conservatives who would starve children the elderly and infirm rather than take on the tough job of eliminating fraud.

and corruption. Come up with a fair and HUMANE way of. dealing. Do you really believeAnyone

23. I wish people would educate themselves. To receive welfare which is a meager $200 monthly one must have a doctor say you are unemployable. Most physicians are unwilling to do that. So other than fraud those getting welfare have no other way of living or eating. An individual hats $200 a month to eat. Try that and see if you wouldn’t rather work if able. Its getting to the point I am ashamed to call myself a conservative and I am willing to bet a paycheck Obama will win

24. I wish people would educate themselves. To receive welfare which is a meager $200 monthly one must have a doctor say you are unemployable. Most physicians are unwilling to do that. So other than fraud those getting welfare have no other way of living or eating. An individual has $200 a month to eat. Try that and see if you rather work if able. to call myself a conservative and I am willing to bet a paycheck Obama will win

25. Every shopping trip I make there are at least several people who can't speak all around me, buy a $200 worth of stuff and whip out a food stamp card to pay for it. If they give the cards to keep people from being embarrassed, they shouldn't. We have homeless people who can't get food stamps in this city but everything seems free to the immigrants and they don't have enough respect for the people keeping them up to learn English. Now they want driver's license but don't understand you must have insurance to drive. It really burns me up. When I lost my job, we sold or let go everything that we owed a dollar on so we could keep a roof over our head. No foodstamps. We ate what we could afford. Never have I bought $200 worth of food at one time. Only people on government assistance can afford to do that in this neck of the woods.

26. Tiffany R says:

The welfare system is both good and bad. I am on welfare right now. I HATE being supported by the gov't ( although in reality it is my fellow Americans that are supporting me but either way I am not supporting myself). I absolutely hate it. I am a mom of 2 young kids and I am going to school so I can (hopefully!) find a job. As a Christian, I see the importance of us taking care of our fellow man, but it is on us as individuals to do it, NOT the gov't. I help others whenever I can do so, and I am grateful for welfare as it feeds my children. So there is two sides to it. If you cut welfare you need to make sure there are jobs available for those who need them. We need to cut Gov't down to size but with Christian compassion. Maybe if we cut politicians down, along with the federal gov't, give each state more power, and put the resulting money into job creation then maybe we could get people off welfare and on the job. We need solutions though and we need them now!

27. Feeding The Human Race, should not be an issue under debate. All of mankind should have access to the same food supply, regardless of Race, Wage, Gender, or any other Label we feel we need to stamp each other with, to feel Superior. Thank You President Obama, for helping ME, to realize this.

28. It is one thing to be poor and out of work through no fault of your own, but to say why work when I can get it all for free is shameful. Some of these panhandlers do this for a living because they are lazy and useless to our society. What they don't realize is that they are painting a negative picture for those people who really in need this help. I see nothing wrong with helping those that are physically or mentally incapable of working, but to just set on your rear end is the absolute stupidity of our society. For those of you that are incline to hand these panhandlers money are adding to our nations problem as well as doing more harm to them then helping.

Our country is in a major crises with millions out of work yet we are allowing all these illegal and legal foreigners in to work. These unemployed Americans need to wise up and realize that way to get their life back on track is to stand up and demand those job be filled by Americans. Sure, we can provide some relief to them while they are working and improving their life style but no one ever told them life is fair. They have to be ready willing and able to help themselves first.

29. American Patriot says:

Same goes for Tea Partiers. They are for being patriotic, but when a war starts, not many go fight. Watch their crowds. How many strong-looking young men are protesting paying taxes? How many are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, zero (0). patriots they are not. Money grubbing cowrads they are.

30. Bryan Morton says:

There is nothing new under the sun. Frederic Bastiat nailed this problem quite solidly on the head back in 1850.

31. ihatesycophants says:

Which would be more appalling to them: The way the liberals are trying to run the country or the way the fascists ARE ruining-er-running the country? being of higher moral and ethical character then the GOP "leadership" I suspect the latter.